Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
Get the other head off just to be sure there is not any junk lurking.

The engine is out....Checking the other side is easy now....Doing this over again is a PITA.
A little chunk of crap rattling around may not have caused issues...BUT IT COULD....
Just a PLAY IT SAFE THING....
Poor engine has had a thrashing already....Let's save it....

No need to wash things..Just roll the engine over and as each piston drops down about an inch or so....wipe the cylinder wall with a WD40 dampened rag....Just to catch anything.

Just enough WD to make the rag sort of sticky....

Do that after you clean the decks off.....

Before honing cram some rags down in the hole with the crank throw DOWN...

Just protect the journal is all.

After you are done....wipe the cylinder down with a rag dampened with brakleen....

Clean the cylinder walls well....Lube lightly before stuffing the Piston/Rod assembly back in.

Make sure the decks are spotless clean and wipe with clean rag and brakleen to leave a dry oil free surface....just before you drop the heads/gaskets on....

With the engine on a stand you can roll it over with the bad hole angled down at a 45 degree....Still cover the rod journal...
Ok. The other head is off. Valves look shut. All lower piston skirts have scratches.

After getting everyone’s amazing info and thinking on things, I come to the conclusion that the grove in the cylinder 2 is not the main reason for the low compression. I believe that the #2 ring that was wedged in the piston grove was not touching the cylinder wall because of all the sand/glow plug material causing the ring to stick. I agree it can be saved!

My plan is to remove all the pistons and rings, clean all the pistons, use 400 grit sand paper to smooth the piston walls a little, install new rings, very light flex hone on all cylinders while coving the crank tighter then a burrito, remove the lifters, clean them and soak them in fresh oil, disassemble the heads, check for damage and run them threw the jet, install thicker head gaskets, Arp head studs, flowkooler 130 gpm water pump, serpentine set, new harmonic balancer, 9 blade fan, dual thermostat if it fits without modifications, ESS Oil pump drive for tach, g60 plugs, new oil pan, Hx35w, quadstar oil drain, wet test run it, check compression numbers again, flush coolant 2 times with water and 2 oil flushes.

I think it will be an amazing motor for the customer!

What do yal think?