Thread: 6.2 ATS turbo questions

Default 6.2 ATS turbo questions

During my search for a 6.2 Redblock, I stumbled across a 6.2 Redblock here in beautiful green Montana that has a full complete ATS turbo kit on it.

I was wondering if anyone ever had experience with one as they are quite rare and easy to bolt on?

Any lag issues?
    Peak boost power?
    Egts?
    Over boosting?

If the ATS is in good shape and complete it is a great find...
    I have had a few of hose kits pass through my hands over the years.

They were set up to use the stock air filter assembly IIRC
    They are a decent little "Kick in the BUTT for the anemic 6.2 N/A engine.

A 1/4 turn on the fuel screw on a stock pump and these were a real improvement...

Just be sure the cast manifold is in good shape.....The cross over pipe is something that can be made at any good exhaust shop if the original is shot.....

As long as the turbo does not have a lot of slop in the wheels.
    NO SIGNS of the compressor touching the housing....as in chewing on it.

These use a bronze bushing with pressure oiling.....

If this stuff looks good....and the $$$ is agreeable...GRAB IT...Be a good addition to your Red block project.

Both the ATS and the Banks add on kits did not use a waste gate....They were limited by the size of the turbine .....

They will push maybe 8-9 psi....Which will wake that 6.2 up quite a bit.....AND KEEP IT ALIVE TOO...
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Yes, the intake fits between the stock intake and air filter (uses OEM air filters). The ATS turbine housing is a little smaller than the Banks. The result is a little faster spooling, but it will poop out a little sooner, too (negligible, in most cases). Don't get too crazy on the fuel increase. If it smokes under load, it's re-forging pistons. An EGT gage is HIGHLY recommended. The 6.2L piston crowns aren't anodized, like the 6.5L, so they should be limited to about 150-200F lower EGT.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Like Maverick said...."Reforging"
    Yup...I have seen 6.2 pistons melted when some clown tweaked the FUEL SCREW....about 2 turns instead of 1/4 turn extra...

Rolling coal at full load spooled up ...What Maverick said.....NO NO NO NO....The sign you read along side the road will read....Meltville next right.....

I can remember my trucking days....That big Cat 3406E 550 HP UNDER THE HOOD....Truck and trailer loaded up to 105,500 lbs....Pulling the 6% outta Pendleton heading to Lagrand...

The big kitty cat pushing 30+ psi of boost and all ya can smell are the BUGS burning off them 6" stacks........That sweet smell you never forget.....But those stacks are burning clean....NO COAL.....
    EGT around 900F POST TURBO.....

Computer keeps the Kitty right in the sweet spot......As hard as I tried...never got it to 1000F.....
    I always ran the RPM at around 16-1800....That engine did not feel good at 1200....just not comfy down low....

My old 3406A 400 hp Pete ran the EGT at 1000-1100 post turbo (Hard pull) and there was always a bit of grey haze out the stacks too.....The E models were real clean....

A clean burn to a slight haze is perfect on the 6.2......900F post turbo and it will live.....

Rolling coal and 1200F or more....Not so much....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Ok cool! I think it would be a cool old kit to possibly buy. He wants $800 though… it would include the ATS turbo kit, 1 81 cast 6.2 Redblock and a 86 6.2 block. Honestly I think I will wait until I get metallurgy results on the Red. But…..

An ATS would fit a 6.5 too… hmm

The ATS 6.2L kit won't exactly fit a 6.5L. The intake manifolds are different. They are compatible, but will require some massaging. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time with it. There are better, more modern and more effective options. Also available, if you can find them, are the ATS wastegate turbos used for the Ford 6.9L and 7.3L IDI engines. Some folks had success using them on the GM 6.2L. I've seen them in action (at a time when they were still new-ish), and they weren't much impressive. Banks did it right, and ATS was an acceptable second, at the time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

$800 is a bit steep UNLESS you know what you are getting......If the 6.2 Red block is rebuildable and not junk....(A must)
    If all you would wind up with is the ATS parts....Not so much.

What Maverick spoke of is pretty much it... Trying to mix and match a bunch of old school parts that are 40 years old ....only if you like nostalgia....

Having a little Vintage K5 Blazer 4x4 with an original Red 6.2 and the ATS on it would be a sweet little ride......Just a great piece of nostalgia... and they will still get high 20 mpg's on the road.

Of all the after market companies....Gale Banks did it right from the gitgo....If you follow his YOU TUBE STUFF..Their dyno setup is definitely top shelf.....Banks takes "tech" to the limit....If he puts his name on it....It is good stuff and it works,

So much of the early add on goodies were sketchy at best......
    The 6.2 was designed to do one thing.....Get GM CAFE numbers UP
    The 6.2 was a real slug under many conditions..

The advertising campaigns of the time tried to make the little diesels sound like Gods gift..... Well it was....sort of.....The great mileage was a real plus......A rig like that today would be sweet.....good grocery getter or commuter...

Run with a feather light throttle these rigs could get close to 30 mpg hwy (3.42 butt gears and the 700R4 Tranny)

Ah yess.....A stroll down memory lane...
    Last edited by Robyn; 06-25-2022 at 05:26.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Ok cool. I asked if he would lower his price but he is firm and didn’t sound like he wanted to check for cracks in the webs either. I’ll have to pass on that one.

Good call.....
    Could well end up with a nightmare that you can do without.
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post
    During my search for a 6.2 Redblock, I stumbled across a 6.2 Redblock here in beautiful green Montana that has a full complete ATS turbo kit on it.

I was wondering if anyone ever had experience with one as they are quite rare and easy to bolt on?

Any lag issues?
    Peak boost power?
    Egts?
    Over boosting?

I pretty much agree with others here, regarding the ATS turbo system.

I saw one once. A member had attended one of our early Rendezvous here in Montana with his 1980's truck and 6.2L/ATS. I seem to recall in talking to him (I included his truck/6.2/ATS in a story about the Rendezvous attendees) that the turbo system did well. My impression though, was that the installation was crowded more on top of the engine, complicating service. I had installed a Banks Sidewinder on my own 6.2L truck a few years earlier. I was very happy with it...Though, I thought the turbo was a bit slow to spool/react. I actually spoke to Gale Banks himself about that. His reply was "You'll have boost when you need it." Of course... he was right.

Jim

The one "Sort of cool thing" with the ATS was the use of the factory air cleaner housing and filter......This saved having the large box on the fender........

Both the ATS and The Banks units did a good job......

As far as making service work tough ??????

If you needed to get at anything on the top of the engine ....It was easy to remove the air filter unit and the air feed tube from the turbo....

These units did not make anything on top any harder to access than the modern day plumbing....

I actually liked the ATS better than the Banks unit....My personal opinion was "It looked more like factory" Just my 2 cents

I had an ATS on a K5 Blazer that I owned for a short time (Someone else wanted it more $$$$$$$$...Wheeling and dealing) The turbo really helped the little 6.2 up in the high country....

Fun stuff.....I would love to go back there and have those rigs again....My time machine is broken...
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post

As far as making service work tough ??????

If you needed to get at anything on the top of the engine ....It was easy to remove the air filter unit and the air feed tube from the turbo....
    Glow plugs and injectors? Fuel injection pump?

Here's a photo I took of a Member's ATS installation here in Montana during our 2000 Rendezvous. Parts of a Banks Sidewinder installation also need to come off if the injectors and other stuff need to be serviced. I guess we'd need to do the same service on both a Banks and an ATS install to know for sure which one is easier. But, just looking, the ATS looks more complicated. Just my opinion.

Last edited by More Power; 07-05-2022 at 13:31.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Glow plugs and injectors? Fuel injection pump?

Here's a photo I took of a Member's ATS installation here in Montana during our 2000 Rendezvous. Parts of a Banks Sidewinder installation also need to come off if the injectors and other stuff need to be serviced. I guess we'd need to do the same service on both a Banks and an ATS install to know for sure which one is easier. But, just looking, the ATS looks more complicated. Just my opinion.

Looks cool! And a true cold air custom hvac intake! I watched a video on YouTube of a guy with an ATS and he said he can easily get 12psi or higher. Kinda cool old tech.

That was, is mine Jim. I believe it was a lot better than the Banks set up. I actually still have it and the engine, but sold my last 6.2 vehicle to my oldest son. I also have another complete ATS setup I will probably sell at some point. I like how ATS did the crossover in the back of the engine instead of the front like Banks did. Some of Banks products are not all that special in my book.
    2004 G.M.C. LLY CC D/A sb 4wd Summit White, ATS Duals, BD X-monitor, BD Exhaust Brake, Snugtop shell, 45 gal. Transferflow fuel tank, AFE stage II
    2004 TDI Jetta GLS S/W
    2005 TDI Passat GLS S/W
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD

Kind of funky air inlet, but I was in a hurry so we could make the rendezvous. You can tell by looking the turbo was new. LOL
    2004 G.M.C. LLY CC D/A sb 4wd Summit White, ATS Duals, BD X-monitor, BD Exhaust Brake, Snugtop shell, 45 gal. Transferflow fuel tank, AFE stage II
    2004 TDI Jetta GLS S/W
    2005 TDI Passat GLS S/W
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD

Have had the ATS on my 83 Sub for about 20 years or so. Made a world of difference in the giddy up and go! Acts almost like a mild 350 gas. Yes…getting to the passenger side glows and injectors are near to impossible. If you need pictures or any advice, let me know. I had to piece my kit together as it was incomplete when I bought it from a questionable person cross country. Jim B let me chew on his ear because the dude listed it on the Page but then didn’t follow through with the shipping for a month or more.
    Still have my 83 Sub with 390k miles but it’s pretty much been parked for a couple of years…..it has become quite the rust bucket and needs some mechanical work (nothing with the 6.2!) I plan to put the ATS on my 86 K5 6.2 with 310k miles. It’s in much better shape.
    I haven’t lurked on the Page in a while! Good to see Jim, Robyn and Maverick still responding to all the posts! I’ll try to do the same!

Yeah.....The page is my home away from home.....Been here a long time....

The old rigs do go away badly back in the salt belt....sad deal
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by tpitt View Post
    That was, is mine Jim. I believe it was a lot better than the Banks set up. I actually still have it and the engine, but sold my last 6.2 vehicle to my oldest son. I also have another complete ATS setup I will probably sell at some point. I like how ATS did the crossover in the back of the engine instead of the front like Banks did. Some of Banks products are not all that special in my book.
    Cool that you saw the pic here. I'd forgotten who it belonged to. Glad you posted.

Yes, I agree... I wasn't a big fan of the exhaust crossover that Banks used either, but I never did have a problem with it. Just gotta be real careful about routing and heat shielding.
    Jim