Thread: Electric Fuel Pump PSI

Default Electric Fuel Pump PSI

What psi should I be looking for in an electric lift pump?

I'm deleting the mechanical lift pump and going with a firewall mounted Facet Duralift, before the spin on fuel/water separator. What appeals to me about this pump is that it's designed to pull. It can pull 120 inches vertical and are used on reefer trailers so I figure they must be reasonably reliable.

But I haven't the vaguest idea what psi it should be. It comes in 4-7 psi or 9-11 psi.

While I can't find any 6.2 applications of this pump, there are plenty of International IDI guys using this lift pump with the DB2. Some use the lower pressure with no problems, others use the higher pressure pump and a regulator after the pump to dial it in.

My vehicle is a 1983 C20 6.2 non turbo. The only thing I ever tow is the occassional utility trailer and I'm told I drive like an old lady; I can count on one hand the number of times I've exceeded 2,000rpm.

Thoughts?

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...oupID=DURALIFT
    1983 Chevrolet C20

1923ish Ford Model T Touring

2000 Lincoln Town Car

Fuel pressure should be 4-10 PSI at engine idle, and it should never drop below zero at any power demand. Typical OEM pumps, mechanical or electric, tend to run 4-8 PSI, favoring the lower pressure. 11 PSI isn't likely too much, but may effect HPCA (Housing Pressure Cold Advance), which can cause difficult starts in cold extremes. The issues I've seen were above 20 PSI. The 4-10 PSI is Stanadyne's spec. Either pump range should be OK, as long as they don't fall short under heavy load. If the pump can keep up, the 4-7 PSI model would be ideal. Down-regulating the higher pressure pump seems to complicate a relatively simple function, IMO. Unless there's a performance advantage, which I don't see, the higher rated pump is unnecessary.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com