Thread: Battery time for the 2001 DMax

Default Battery time for the 2001 DMax

Hi All
    Does anyone have a recommendation on batteries for my tow truck?
    Right now it needs to be used every day or the batteries are to low to start.
    When i bought the truck it had mismatched batteries,and one was weak so i put in a matched set of Napa premium ones with the highest CCA.The one good battery that i removed is still going strong in my GF's Jimmy.
    The truck lives in my shop so cold temp starts are few.
    Kind of disappointed in the Napa batteries.I charged them this summer on a smart charger that "rebuilds" bad batteries.It did not help these.
    Thanks
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

What resources do you have nearby? Sam's Club, Costco, Walmart, chain parts store, etc. I resolved some time ago to just go with batteries that meet the group and CA requirements, the longest replacement warranty, for the least money, that is most available. I replaced the original Delco batteries in my 2001 with Optima Yellow tops. They lasted 10 years, sort of. One of them quit at about 8 years, and I ran only the remaining battery for another 2 (solo). They did have a LOT of desert dry camping on them (no generator, and a lot of inverter use). Replacement Yellow Tops would cost more than 3X the Walmart brand I bought, and they've been going about 5 years. They are just now starting to show slight weakness, but are balanced and holding voltage. I expect to replace them again in a year or 2, probably with the same. Overall reliability doesn't seem to have suffered, at a fraction of the cost, and availability a non-issue.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Have a look at the following link here in The Diesel Page. The choice of battery pretty much agrees with DmaxMaverick, plus a little more info about tray maintenance.

https://www.thedieselpage.com/features/batterytray.htm

Update: The above linked tray maintenance article was written more than 2 years ago. As today (October 11, 2022), neither of the NAPA maintenance-free batteries have caused any tray corrosion.
    Last edited by More Power; 10-11-2022 at 15:16. Reason: add stuff

Great wright up on the batteries and trays
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

I read it and learned something...
    Awsome
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

I have had excellent luck using DEKA batteries.
    ORDERED 1-15-03 ARRIVED 2-10-03= 03/2500HD/D/A/EXT.CAB LT/ LONG BOX/4X4/CARBON METALLIC/ONSTAR/ TTT CAMPER MIRRORS/WESTIN BOARDS WITH LITES/HUSKY FLOOR LINERS/PRO FIT FLAPS/ACCESS TONNO/LINEX BED RAILS/ FUMOTO OIL DRAIN VALVE,
    BEDRUG/BILSTEIN SHOCKS/ ISSPRO EGT GAUGE/RED LINE LUBE, BANKS EXHAUST BRAKE. GALAXY 929 CB/ WILSON 1000.KENNEDY LIFT PUMP.

Has anyone here tried the battery rejuvenation trick that Youtube shows, using a high amp charger? Seems like nonsense to me, but...

High charge. Low charge. Acid replacement. Alka-Seltzer. Etc. Tried it all. High amp charging can force a charge into a cell, but it's temporary, and very dangerous. Youtube is dangerous.

Some short-cycling batteries can be recovered, somewhat, if treated early. Sulfation prevention sometimes helps, but once it is bad enough to effect capacity, you don't get it back.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My brother bought a "Smart"charger
    it is supposed to rebuild batteries.
    My luck as been OK using it,but it nothing for the ones in the tow truck

Too close out what i ended up with...
    I called around to see what my options were
    $215 each my cost to replace the Napa ones that didn't impress me.Most batteries from the parts places came in within dollars of the Napa ones,
    Went with Canadian Tire batteries,Got the sealed ones like in More Powers article,probably made in the same factory.
    $169. each 3 year replacement warranty.On the website they showed made in the USA,the ones that i got are made in Mexico.battery 2.jpgbattery 3.jpgbattery 1.jpgbattery 4.jpgTwins...i went with the top post combo's as that will give me options of use after one battery craps the bed,of course in 3 years and a few days.