Thread: New to us toy hauler

Default New to us toy hauler

We made a quick trip to Yuma AZ to pick up a 33ft toy hauler with the Denali. On the way down the truck did twenty one miles to the gal. and on the way back a solid fourteen. I have
    installed the Banks Derringer, Pedal Monster and IDash. It certainly wakes up the L5P. The trailer pulls very well after making hitch adjustments before coming back to Utah. Now in the
    process in personalizing it. Wasn't much to do. I am installing two 200 watt panel and a 3000 watt inverter. I have two large AGM batteries already on board. Took it out for a few days
    shake down and the only problem was the water pump low pressure. that gets replaced tomorrow. Its been a while since I've lurked here but I plan on being around more often.
    See you all around.
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

Sounds like a great outfit....
    My Kids bought a Toy hauler last winter....About the same size.

This type of outfit are pretty sweet way to go...

Have fun
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

An update. We took the trailer north to my son's place in Syracuse UT. It was the first time with the ATV in the garage and it was not good. To say it was not to easy to handle would be an understatement. I have all the usual towing equipment and spent the time needed to set it up properly. Equalizer with sway control. On the way up I stopped a couple of times to crank up the sway control to as tight as I could get it. That helped a great deal but not total fix. When I got to my son's place I installed another sway control sway control on the other side of the hitch. I was thinking that maybe I had made a mistake buying this trailer. I completed the updates to the trailer that I wanted and we hit the road for home in St. George. It was much better but still needed something.
    My fix was to rather than to pull five links on the equalizer was to pull Six. I was still within a half inch of level front to rear on the trailer with the ATV in the garage. Went for a ride on the freeway at differing speeds and problem solved. I also back the ATV into the garage to help with the weight distribution. Now towing is very predictable up and down grades.
    Just the slightest adjustments can make all the difference.
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

I have been in the RV industry for 28 years now. I have never been a fan of bumper-pull toy haulers. The manufacturers have to build the units with an excessive amount of tongue weight when empty, so that by the time you put the "toys" in the back the tongue weight is still enough to tow properly. Obviously, the weight of the toys in the back can be a big variable, and the amount of tongue weight that is offset by the toys is variable. What this means is that if you set the weight distribution hitch up when the trailer was empty, it will have to be completely readjusted when loaded. I have even encountered the situation (multiple times) where the toys in the back left too little of tongue weight, and no WD hitch on the market would make it tow correctly (short of the Hensley Arrow or Pro Pride hitch which costs many $$$). Adjusting the weight in the trailer forward was the only solution. This can be difficult to do depending on the garage area of the toy hauler and what is being loaded in the back.

5th wheel toy haulers don't suffer from this problem, since they have a lot more pin weight that is directly over the axle of the tow vehicle.

I'm glad you were able to get your rig towing well again!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter