Hello all-

I'm not new here, but its been nearly a decade since I have logged in and had to re-create my account. I realize I am posting in the 6.2 forum, but I am hoping there was somebody with a few grey hairs that has some experience with these old 4.3's. I am really struggling with a sweetheart 1985 Olds 98 with the 4.3 diesel w/ 49k miles that I recently picked up. This little gem was a 1 owner from an elderly couple and is a true beauty. I cannot brag enough how nice the car is. It is nearly what I would consider museum quality. I love the computer voice that reminds you when the "lights are on" or 'the keys are now in the ignition". Its marvelous!

So anyway, I have an issue. An issue I created and now cannot resolve. So I serviced the fuel filter and had trouble getting the air bled out and the engine started. I did get it running, but I drained the battery in the process and had my battery booster on it. I forgot on these old girls that you cannot do that, as it would somehow backfeed through the glowplug system and burnout the glowplugs. Which it did pop all 6 of them. So, I replaced all 6 (which the rear bank of these is a real bear to get to) with #12 AC-Delco glowplugs and replaced the battery with a new one, fully charged. The plugs cycled as I feel they should and started like a champ. After a short 5 mile drive, I popped the hood, removed the glowplug wires and ohm check the plugs. Somehow I now have another set of failed glowplugs. I cannot figure out what caused this again. Things to note:

* While I was driving, the "Wait to Start" light never illuminated
* These 12G Delco plugs are failing. Am I using the correct plug for a 1985 4.3?

Any idea? The 12G plugs are getting hard to find and its getting costly to replace them. The car is just too unique to let is go. I would like to resolve the issue and show it off.

Off topic...there is a sticker in the lower/left location of the windshield that says "GM Program Vehicle." Any idea what this sticker means? Just curious.

Thanks in advance fellas.