Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shift lever is out of wack

Default Shift lever is out of wack

Maybe the linkage, when I pull the shifter into D the light indicator isnt where it should be, and if I go back to Park, it goes into reverse if I move the lever
    Slowly it might work…..I’m on a rebuilt trans put in my a Chevy dealer.

Thoughts?
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

If the lever isn't sloppy, look at the cable joint (less likely), or the NSBU switch (more likely). The NSBU can loosen and get out of adjustment, or just break. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the 6-speed NSBU is inside the case, opposite the input shaft, and requires pan removal to access.
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 10-28-2022 at 06:51.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

My shifter has become lazy going back into park
    I first noticed it when i was backing up to a car to lift it with my wheel lift.I backed up till i felt the arms against the car tires,put it in park and went to lift the car.Had no hydrolics,WTH went back to the truck and saw the indicator in R but the handle was in park.Shifted back into R then to Park and watched the indicator.It didn't move with the shifter.Had to shift it again quickly and the indicator moved.
    It's done it a few more times,haven't had a chance to explore the issue.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

If the detents feel right and the lever doesn't flop around, it's highly likely the NSBU switch is out of adjustment or broken. The lever-cable-linkage is mechanical into the tranny, and the NSBU switch just rides along with the input shaft. Although the lever and tranny may, in fact, be in P and locked, the NSBU communicates the position electronically. If it's off just a little, it will lie.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

If I were to go on ebay and search for this switch, what exact ally would i search for?
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

The lever feels “weak” and when I do get into park it clunks..
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Search for NSBU switch, for your model year. Make sure it's for the 6-speed.

A "weak" lever and a "clunk" going into P may or may not mean something. If the P/TCM "thinks" the tranny is still in gear, and you mechanically force it into P, it may clunk (pressure still on the engaged clutches). It may also mean an actual mechanical issue with the shifter or linkage. Have someone operate the lever (engine OFF, brake set, wheels chocked!) while you watch the input linkage, and note any sloppiness. It should have none, or near none. Check each position, and the transition between them. If the linkage is tight, the issue is likely the NSBU, or an internal mechanical failure.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

If everything functions as it should, but it's out of adjustment, it shouldn't need replacement. It doesn't appear the computer is complaining, so an electronic failure is unlikely. If the tranny shifts normal, the backup lights work, and it will crank or not crank as it's supposed to, the switch is probably good. The switch can be adjusted without removal. Still, you need to verify the linkage from the lever to the tranny input is solid. Repeat the process that allows the lever to be in P, while the display indicates R, then move the cable at the input shaft to see if it will indicate correctly.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Seems the lever is out of wack, I just checked the reverse to see if it lights up and it did, but when I went into park it was in neutral neutral lite was indicated
    Even though the lever was all the way up. Couldn’t get it into park, shut it off in neutral..

Indicator light is showing it’s in neutral shift
    lever is in the park position can’t get reverse or park.

Could it be the ignition switch?
    Last edited by spongebob; 10-29-2022 at 16:43.
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

I don't see how the ign switch could cause this. The lock cylinder will prevent it from shifting from park when OFF, but does nothing beyond that.

When you say you shut it off in Neutral, do you mean the lever was in neutral position, and the truck would roll? Or, was it just indicating Neutral, but the lever was all the way up? If all the way up, does the truck roll?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

I can get neutral, the indicator light says I’m in neutral but the lever is up where park and reverse is..right now I’m in neutral and can remove the key. On a side note, last winter I went off the road in deep snow, into a culvert and had to be pulled out. I’m wondering if the linkage could of gotten beat up.
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Found this: “ How to Know The Gear Shifter is a Problem
    As with any possible arising problems, your Chevrolet Duramax may experience several signs and symptoms of a faulty or failed gear shifter. The gear shifter is an extremely important component of your vehicle, as without it, your vehicle cannot initiate motion.
    One commonly-reported warning sign of a gear shifter problem is an unresponsive shifter. When you move the gear shifter of your Chevrolet Duramax, a linkage moves with it allowing gears to change. If your vehicle does not seem to engage in the gear you selected, it is likely the linkage has become damaged or broken.”
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

OK. More "if's"...

If the lever goes into the "P" position, and you can remove the key, the lever and lock cylinder are not failed.

If it remains indicated "N", with the lever in the "P" position and you can remove the key, is the truck able to roll (parking pawl engaged or not, this is VERY important)?

We're back to a very simple process...

IF the lever is in the P position and you can remove the key, but the truck is able to roll, the problem will be mechanical. Meaning, the problem will be the shift linkage after the lever, and before the tranny range selector input.

IF the lever is in the P position and you can remove the key, but the truck is NOT able to roll (parking pawl engaged), the problem will be electronic. Meaning, despite the physical position of the lever, the NSBU is not reporting the range selector input shaft position correctly to the computer.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Let me get a charge on my lap top, I’ll go out and go though your scenarios….
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Truck is running, indicator light is on in neutral, shift lever is all the way up, shifting into “D” works. I can remove key when Lever is up and indicating neutral. I can roll truck with lever all the way up in the park position but reading ‘neutral”..
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

In that case, it appears your suspicion of damage when hitting the culvert may be in the right direction. On the bright side, it sounds to me like the damage is external to the tranny. That really cuts down on the time and cost factors. You're just going to have to get under there and find the damage. If the cable was snagged by something, it could be damaged at any point. If it isn't obvious, I'd suspect the coupler, if it has one, or a cable bracket (at either end). Trace the cable from the tranny forward. You may have to remove the driver seat and pull up the carpet (I'm not familiar with the 2006 cable routing, or if it's actually a 2-piece cable, but don't know otherwise).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Thanks…I’ll let us know what it is/was
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Found the problem, my off roading into the culvert knocked the shift linkage out of it’s bracket.
    There are two “clips” that hold it in place and one is missing..so looks like I’ll buy a new linkage
    Cable and install it….hope there’s a YouTube video.
    Thanks Dmax for your help..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spongebob; 10-31-2022 at 16:38.
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Glad you found it.

Is the cable damaged, or just displaced? If only a plastic tab is missing (broken off), I'd probably improvise a repair. A hose clamp, for example, would be at least as secure as the plastic clips. You shouldn't have to replace the cable unless it's actually broken.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A