Thread: Almost ready to have my 6.5 towed _ No Fire

Default Almost ready to have my 6.5 towed _ No Fire

Well my girl is DOA at my office & I can't leave here parked out front for ever.

After voting I put the coals to her a bit and ran her up to may 2700 rpms (usually drive her like an old lady).

She started to hick up and almost turned her around to take home, but smoothed out. I ran codes before I shut her off at office as I was suspect.

3 or 4 hours She started just fine & pulled her around front. A few minutes later I went to leave and almost started but never again now for the last few days has NOT fired a lick.

• I have fuel flow at the T handle bleed on top
    • No fuel coming out when I crack injector at head and crank.
    • I tried another PMD but don't know if it's really a good one.
    • Removed the plunger from fuel shut off solenoid

Question:

Before I consider an Injection pump & or try a new PMD is there any thing I'm missing to test?

Is it worth upgrading to the grey Stanadyne? with cable?

Thanks!!

Below are the confirmed Codes I got:

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
    DTC report
    Selected brand: Chevrolet

P1214
    Raw code: 1214
    ECU: 10
    OBDII: Pedal Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent
    Chevrolet: Injection Pump Timing Offset
    ============6==============
    P0406
    Raw code: 0406
    OBDII: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve position sensor A - high input
    ============7==============
    P0216
    Raw code: 0216
    OBDII: Fuel injection timing control - circuit malfunction

PENDING CODES:

============1==============
    P1216
    Raw code: 1216
    Status: Pending fault present, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Test has not been completed, Validated fault present at time of request
    OBDII: Pedal Position Sensor C Circuit High Input
    Chevrolet: Fuel Solenoid Response Time Too Short

============2==============
    P1214
    Raw code: 1214
    Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Test has not been completed, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
    OBDII: Pedal Position Sensor B Circuit Intermittent
    Chevrolet: Injection Pump Timing Offset

============3==============
    P0406
    Raw code: 0406
    Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test conditions are met, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Test has not been completed, Validated and stored in non volatile memory, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
    OBDII: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve position sensor A - high input

============4==============
    P0216
    Raw code: 0216
    Status: Pending fault present, Pending fault present during this driving cycle, Test is inhibited by other DTC, Test has not been completed, Validated fault present at time of request, Validated fault has been present during this drive cycle
    OBDII: Fuel injection timing control - circuit malfunction

96 1500 6.5 Silverado

81 Malibu ~ 75 Vega Wagon

Lecanto, Florida

Sorry, but I can't help with the PMD source. Check the chain parts stores for one in stock close by. NAPA usually keeps them in stock, but they're proud of them. Aftermarket brands usually offer better warranties than OEM (3 years vs. 1).

Your next step is correct, swap in a new or known-good PMD. Rather than buying/shipping one, perhaps you know someone with a EFI 6.5 and remote PMD who can help, at least for the moment to diagnose (and get it home w/o the hook, if that's the problem).

Right now, before proceeding further, REPLACE THE ESS PLUNGER. The ESS is the ONLY method the PCM has to prevent a runaway engine if the fuel solenoid isn't responsive. Occasionally, a failed PMD (and very rarely, the APP module) will allow the engine to rev to the moon (fuel solenoid throws to full open). The PCM will close the ESS at about 4K RPM's. The only other way to stop the engine (short of it grenading), is the ign. switch. The engine will rev well past 4K before you can key it off if that happens.

The APP circuit C fail is concerning. It's preventing diagnostic from running other circuit diagnostics, which may indicate it's failing the APP, which may cause a no-start. Check the connector(s), and perhaps, give the APP module a few sharp raps with a screwdriver handle (not enough to damage the plastic).

The EGR code will not cause a stall or no-start, but may also be a result of the no-start.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the warning on the shut off valve ~ yes I'll reassemble it

"App C fail" do you mean the pedal code?
    96 1500 6.5 Silverado

81 Malibu ~ 75 Vega Wagon

Lecanto, Florida

Yes. APP = Accelerator Pedal Position module.

It has 3 independent circuits, 2 ascending voltage, and 1 descending (or was that 1-2..). If any one doesn't respond correctly, the STS (Service Throttle Soon) lamp illuminates and sets codes. If two, STS, codes, and reduced response (defuels, limits RPM). If 3, engine may not start, but should not stall (will idle only). The throttle strategies varied slightly over the years, and I don't know exactly what happens with progressive fails.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com