Thread: Engine block heater…

Default Engine block heater…

I have a duramax engine manual, but no where is there any info
    On the engine heater, what does it heat exactly?

Also I noticed there is a fuel heater next to the fuel filter ..can some explain
    That feature .

And lastly when one glow plug goes out does the other 7 still function??
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

The block heater is simply a heating element extended into the lower cylinder coolant jacket, and it heats the coolant. The optional (or aftermarket) oil heater is a heating pad stuck onto the oil pan.

The fuel heater warms the filter housing, and helps prevent filter fuel waxing at lower temps. It should be active below 40F or so. Warmer fuel at the filter lowers its viscosity and aids fuel flow through the filter, helping prevent pump cavitation. It does not prevent fuel system icing in extreme cold. Winterized or treated fuel is needed for that.

Any single, or multiple glow plug failure does not prevent the others from operating. Previous federal emissions models had the plugs powered by a rack, and a failure of the rack would see downstream plugs without power. Later models (LBZ+, IIRC) are like all CA emissions models, where all plugs are powered (and monitored) independently from the controller. Previous models would only monitor the overall glow plug system health (failure code would only indicate a failure, and how many are failed is indicated by voltage values), while later models monitor individual plugs, and will code a failure, identifying the offending cylinder(s).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thank you,
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Supposed to be -20F here in a couple of nights... The joys of living in Montana during the winter!

My use of the block heater here in Montana has evolved through the years (since 1986). Currently, I use it for about an hour before starting when temps are about +20F. Add an hour for every 10 ten degrees colder. For example, at -20F overnight, I recommend using the block heater for a minimum of about 4 hours before starting.

I know some who leave the block heater plugged in all the time during the coldest winter months... Over a few winters, that could shorten the life of the heating element, and you'll be paying for quite a bit more electricity than you need to. Back when I commuted to work, I used an electrical timer to power the block heater a couple of hours before I needed to leave home. Since my commuting days, I can plan better. Jim

My best friend lives in Eureka..never been there in the winter….I used to plug it in when I lived in the Sierras Mountain's in California
    I couldn’t believe my electric bill when I left in on over night…
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    ..... I used an electrical timer to power the block heater a couple of hours before I needed to leave home ......
    That's what I do. I have a heavy duty timer that runs my block heater about 4 hours before leaving for work. When I'm off work and it's super cold, I'll leave it plugged in all the time since I don't know when I will need to drive it, and it's nice to have a heater that starts working almost instantly!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Been -45C here for a few days and will stay till Thursday-Friday
    My car is plugged in pretty much 24-7
    I will be having to start my Kenworth when the temp breaks a bit to deliver fuel.
    Plugged in with synthetic oils in everything it takes a good hour of idling to get things warm enough to go to work
    The cold effects the fuel delivery part more.Colder than -35C fittings start to leak from the cold
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

There was no grill cover that came with my 06..I could use something, cause my trans won’t go into 6th for about
    8-10 miles
    Ebay doesn’t have much to choose from..
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
    There was no grill cover that came with my 06..I could use something, cause my trans won’t go into 6th for about
    8-10 miles
    Here's one source (scroll down to 2005/6/7C).

And another.

A bit pricey (maybe), but doesn't appear to be any worse than used or "incomplete".
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

A piece of cardboard across the bottom of the rad is the most common winter front used here
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
    8-10 miles
    During the first couple of years of the Duramax 6600, GM included a "Winter Front" with each truck. I know that during the run-up to production, their experience with the prototype trucks in places like Fairbanks AK, GM was concerned about winter warmup. The front grille/bumper covers, that my 2001 came with, were rolled up and stashed beneath the back seat on the passenger side. Later model year trucks arrived at dealerships without the covers. Apparently, GM considered the concern over winter warmup as a bit unnecessary. Perhaps...

I do know that with my truck, the grille cover allows the engine to run at the thermostat setting a lot more of the time during cold weather driving. I've never used the bumper cover. Gotta take the grille cover off though when towing, or the truck could see higher than normal engine temperatures. I learned that one February some years ago while towing a fairly large box trailer through the mountains.
    Last edited by More Power; 12-29-2022 at 10:43. Reason: add to...

I actually got one with my 2020 Denali.
    2004 G.M.C. LLY CC D/A sb 4wd Summit White, ATS Duals, BD X-monitor, BD Exhaust Brake, Snugtop shell, 45 gal. Transferflow fuel tank, AFE stage II
    2004 TDI Jetta GLS S/W
    2005 TDI Passat GLS S/W
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD

Quote Originally Posted by tpitt View Post
    I actually got one with my 2020 Denali.
    Good to know!

Weather here in Montana is certainly variable... Just before Christmas it was -42F with windchill in Helena MT, earlier this week it was +47F, and everything melted... Talk about temperature swings... :O

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    Good to know!

Weather here in Montana is certainly variable... Just before Christmas it was -42F with windchill in Helena MT, earlier this week it was +47F, and everything melted... Talk about temperature swings... :O
    Missouri is no different. A week ago, windchill temps were near 30 below, and yesterday we hit 72! That's a massive swing in one week.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

It warmed up here to -20C and felt like spring was here.