Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DD 3-53 Parts Info

Good day all and thanks for the help. I found a used oil cooler plate with a oil filter port, however it is just too long as it contacts the starter and is off the mounting holes a mile. Wasted $150.00 When I removed the oil cooler, I see there are two ports , I assume on is oil out and one is oil in. I also see the same ports on the other side of the block, only they are plugged with flush mount and no apparent way to remove them. Would I be able to run a filter head out of and into these ports if I can get the plugs out? I have the full 768 page service manual and don't see this topic anywhere. Again, thanks for any help. Block pluged ports.PNG

Matching ports on an opposite side of a block (or head) are almost always cross-bores (internal connecting bores not possible or practical with casting). They are plugged because they've served their function and no longer needed. They may also have other internal plugs, blocking a connection. IF (big if) the bores are accompanied with threaded mounting holes, they may be usable, and certainly not if they have none. IF there is a mounting boss, AND the holes are connected (you can flow a fluid or air freely from one hole to the matching other, AND the fluid/air doesn't go where it shouldn't), you should be able to use them. Of course, you will have to plug the holes you aren't using. Your manual should show an alternate usage of these ports, somewhere, even if only an honorable mention, if they are intended to be used. It is also possible your manual does not include the casting series of the block you have, which may not include all of the updates to a later or unique casting (it would be part of an application manual, or a supplemental for that application).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thank you for the quick response. Appriciated

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. It runs like a dream. Fired up first try... Now going into the firewood processor...
    Was going to upload a video, not very upload savvy... Thanks all again.

That's great to hear! Can you upload a video to YouTube and share the link? That's often the easiest way.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Well, its running like a top... as soon as I can figure out to (have my granddaughter) upload the video, I'll share it. Looking for a radiator to cool the thing. (DD 3-53). Don't need one out of a semi. I see 3 and 4 row radiators for 6-8 liter diesels in pick-ups for ~$200.00. The DD 3-53 is 159 ci or 2.6 liter. Would one of these have the capacity to cool the 3-53? I have an electric fan and will fab a shroud. Thanks for the in-put.