Thread: 1997 C2500 6.5Turbo Diesel won't start

Default 1997 C2500 6.5Turbo Diesel won't start

The PMD died in my truck back in Sept so I parked it, it has about half a tank of fuel in it, 5 days ago I installed a new PMD and the truck fired up instantly with no hesitation, I let it run for 30-45mins, I went to start it 3 days ago and no start. It cranked but won't start, checked the fuel filter and it was clogged up with gelled diesel, so we replaced the filter, added diesel 911 to the tank and the filter housing, then added fresh diesel to the fuel tank and the filter housing as well, tried starting it up and still just cranks with no start, when I turn the key to let the glow plugs warm up we can hear the fuel relay but it doesn't fill the filter housing, we've played with the air release valves on the filter and the front of the motor, when we spray quick start down the air filter it fires up and then stalls out.. I'm at a loss and so is everyone I've asked to try help..

For one thing stop using either now. Plug in the block heater or find another way to get some heat in everything. The power service isn't a instant fix.
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Did you check the new filter? Was the fuel gelled or contaminated?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

We stopped using the quick start as soon as we saw it was a fuel issue, I will plug it in and get it warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Did you check the new filter? Was the fuel gelled or contaminated?
    The new filter doesn't have any griddy gross stuff on it, it only has the fresh diesel we poured down it

Quote Originally Posted by Mikayla204 View Post
    The new filter doesn't have any griddy gross stuff on it, it only has the fresh diesel we poured down it
    The lift pump constantly circulates fuel from the tank through the system. If you've been cranking it over, you might have more contamination from the tank in the new filter.

Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

How cold is it where the truck is parked? Alberta isn't known for a balmy spring climate.

If you started and ran it on summer fuel when it wasn't too cold, then tried again when it was too cold, your results aren't unexpected. Adding a winter additive and/or 911 will only effect the fuel it comes into contact with. If the lift pump and lines are still gelled/waxed/frozen, they will remain that way until it warms up and is able to circulate the additive(s). Using the block heater helps, but doesn't extend beyond the engine compartment. Heating the block will raise the temp under the hood, in general. This still leaves the lift pump, lines, and tank unheated. You have a few options. Wait until it warms up for a long enough period, move the truck to a warmer place (heated garage), or heat the truck in place, such as using a heater directed under the truck, as well as using the block heater. Once things are warmed up for a couple/few hours, it should get going. Try starting it in the late afternoon after it's had opportunity to warm as much as possible. Trying to start it in the early day after an overnight hard freeze will be a waste of time unless it has been artificially warmed. Once you get it running, let it come up to full operating temp, and it should fully circulate the additives and protect the fuel for future cold starts.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    How cold is it where the truck is parked? Alberta isn't known for a balmy spring climate.

If you started and ran it on summer fuel when it wasn't too cold, then tried again when it was too cold, your results aren't unexpected. Adding a winter additive and/or 911 will only effect the fuel it comes into contact with. If the lift pump and lines are still gelled/waxed/frozen, they will remain that way until it warms up and is able to circulate the additive(s). Using the block heater helps, but doesn't extend beyond the engine compartment. Heating the block will raise the temp under the hood, in general. This still leaves the lift pump, lines, and tank unheated. You have a few options. Wait until it warms up for a long enough period, move the truck to a warmer place (heated garage), or heat the truck in place, such as using a heater directed under the truck, as well as using the block heater. Once things are warmed up for a couple/few hours, it should get going. Try starting it in the late afternoon after it's had opportunity to warm as much as possible. Trying to start it in the early day after an overnight hard freeze will be a waste of time unless it has been artificially warmed. Once you get it running, let it come up to full operating temp, and it should fully circulate the additives and protect the fuel for future cold starts.
    It's getting pretty nice where I am, we're looking towards +3 etc in the next few days but I'll try warm it up some more with the block heater and some other heaters because we don't have a garage

Maybe if you can get an electric heater to warm the filter housing...

If your high is +3C, it would take a long time at that temp to get things thawed. If you started at -10 or -20, or lower, it's likely not far off from that sitting for hours at +3. The entire system needs to warm up to get fuel flowing. Once you do, keep it that way, either by keeping it warm (start and run up to operating temp every few hours), or with winterized or treated fuel. The 911 additive you used may not be enough alone to treat a full tank of summer fuel for your temps. Read the label and adjust according to the fuel volume and the LOWEST temp you will have. DO NOT use 911 for routine fuel treatment (it's for emergencies, hence the label 911). Use a dedicated routine treatment according to the conditions. If you can't treat the fuel or keep it warm by other means, just park it until you can change the conditions. Unless you really need it for transportation, it's pointless beating up on the starting system.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com