Thread: How to jack up the 6.2 Engine

Default How to jack up the 6.2 Engine

Hello, I'd like to replace the motor mounts on the van. The manual states that lifting the engine should not be performed by jacking on the oil pan or crankshaft. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to jack up the motor (without the use of a hoist)? I have looked through some of the other posts. I see that people have jacked on the pan anyhow (sometimes with a 2x4 or 2X12 between the jack and the pan), others suggested jacking on the oil pan flange (which I think would required fab'ing something up.) Thank you!
    1992 Chevy G20, 6.2 NA

Do not jack on the oil pan. The 6.2L is very heavy, but the weight isn't from the pan. It will deform, and it will leak, sooner or later. You really need a hoist, of some sort. A tree and a come-a-long is a hoist, for example. You can successfully jack it from below, but I do not recommend it. I've done it myself (not the pan), and have been lucky. Roadside repairs don't offer any form of convenience.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thank you Dmax, I appreciate the help. With the van, it's going to be hard to get it from above without an engine hoist, and even then, I think that will take some work to get that set up. I saw a U-shaped "cradle" that someone welded together that allowed the force of the jack to hit the oil pan flange. It looked effective, but I was hoping that someone would have a technique that didn't require this type of fabrication work beforehand.
    1992 Chevy G20, 6.2 NA

If you have a come-a-long, or chain hoist (or a HD ratchet strap, block/rope, etc.), the lift doesn't have to be vertical. Enough to clear the hood (or just remove it). You only need to support the engine enough to replace the mounts. But, if you must, 2x4's on the pan rail will work. Another that works, but I don't recommend (as in, a last resort), is lifting at the bell housing (done that). Again, cushion it as best as you can. 2x4's seem to be handy here, too. It depends on your level of necessity.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Good ideas! Thank you!
    1992 Chevy G20, 6.2 NA

How about lifting on the front of the crankshaft
    Or bolt a chain to some of the accessory holes on the front of the engine
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Yukon, thanks for the response. The idea of using a bolt/accessory holes on the front of the engine is a good idea. In the van, the engine sits back pretty far relative to the opening from the hood. It would be difficult to use the come-along and any connection on the top of the engine. Using a bolt from the front of the engine seems possible. Between that and the come-a-long I think I would be able to come up with something to lift if from the top. Although I think I would have to remove a fair amount of stuff in order to hook it all up. I also tested getting 2x4's to the pan rail. This is also something that could work. I should be able to get the job done at this point. Thank you for the help.
    1992 Chevy G20, 6.2 NA

Thanks again for all the comments and ideas. I ended up making a piece out of 2x4's that allowed me to jack up the engine from the bottom. The piece pushed up against the pan rail so that no pressure was applied to the pan itself. It worked fine and it didn't take too long to make.

IMG_8213.jpgIMG_8214.jpgIMG_8216.jpg
    1992 Chevy G20, 6.2 NA

Nicely done!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter