Thread: 94 Injection Pump,what pumps can be used?

Default 94 Injection Pump,what pumps can be used?

1994 3500HD
    The pump has a green tag on the top right corner,not the usual pump tag that is on the body.I am pretty sure that it is a rebuilt one that was installed with the rebuilt engine.
    From what i remember reading over the years is that the 94 pumps differ from the rest.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge on the 94 pumps and what can be used?

Thanks Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Working from memory (details are around here, somewhere), the 1994 is unique in one respect. The HD configuration (VIN F) IP and matching PCM is unique to the HD models. Pump model xx67, or some such, as I recall. Other pumps can be used, and will run, but will have issues and the PCM won't be happy. I don't recall any issues with starts, however. The LD model can use any EFI pump, while the HD model requires the specific pump.

The green tag only means the pump has the upgraded OEM internals from Stanadyne. Nothing else, and can apply to several pump models and a couple year models (through 1995, IIRC).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

With the only issue being hot starts is that enough to condemn the pump?
    Starts and runs without the lift pump,including a WOT run down the road without any hesitation.
    PMD is on a relocated heat sink.
    No SES light on,and none on the WOT romp either.
    Going to see if i can get a number off it today
    Thanks
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Difficult to say. Before condemning the pump, I'd set up a glow plug cycle bypass, and hit it when it doesn't want to start. Many of the 6.5's don't like to start cold or warm w/o a cycle. My 95 started very reliably, but wouldn't start warm w/o a glow cycle, even during hot summer. If a glow cycle doesn't help, then probably the pump. Running w/o a lift pump only means the internal transfer pump in the IP is healthy, but doesn't speak to the condition of the head/rotor tolerance, which is the cause of most hot start issues. Cooling the housing, which can sometimes be an indicator, "shrinks" the housing and tightens the tolerance enough for a start.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

According to www.kennedydiesel.com , the 1994 HD pump you need is the DS4-5068. Verify that's the pump you have now. He also offers a chip that eliminates the need for the specific pump for not much $ (transmission specific). If you get one of his power chips, you can also specify the pump model and eliminate the requirement.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Thanks
    I have his work inside my Sub's ECM
    Seems to bring it to life.
    Off on a days run to the big smoke