Thread: Water in pan after a week of sitting with no prior issues

Default Water in pan after a week of sitting with no prior issues

Hello,

Vehicle 1989 K2500 6.2L J code.

So I have water in my oil pan suddenly. I parked my car for a week to remove 8 swollen plugs. Prior to this I had driven the car up and down the road and took it for one long drive to move it from one property to another (>30 miles highway driving). It also sat in a field for over a decade without any water getting into the oil. I haven't had any issues with water in the oil.

I haven't had any overheating issues. Although I haven't taken it for a drive yet. I haven't done a compression test. Just based on cranking there is an even gallop and the engine sounds healthy, I am in the process of moving so I can't find any of my tools, I will be renting a diesel compression tester this weekend. There is a good bit of milk shake. I change the oil once and when I started running the engine again I got milk shake again. I still haven't driven anywhere just idle the car.

I don't have the belt hooked up and the water pump pulley is off. I have just been idling it for short periods of time.

I did wash down the entire under hood interior with a garden hose, I wouldn't expect to make it passed the rings, I wasn't sure if there was another entry point? There is the back of the engine where a distributor is on a gas engine, where I understand a mechanical vacuum pump is driven?

It has all of the symptoms of a head gasket, but it just doesn't make sense to me how it could be. I want to be certain before I tear the heads off.

I have lost a significant amount of coolant during the glow plug removal but I also disconnect the heater core to get the back plug / injector and I just let the hoses dangle and the coolant drain during the process.

I also had to remove a bunch of things and put them back such as the dip stick. Although I believe as of (after) last time I change the oil, it is secured with the 7mm bolt into place. During the week while it was sitting the dip stick pulled out and it was raining consistently, heavily, every day. The vehicle is parked outside, not covered.
    Last edited by 98k2500; 10-19-2023 at 07:29. Reason: Additional info.

That's a LOT of variables that certainly could explain water/coolant in the pan. A failed head gasket is possible, but with so many other more likely possibilities, hold that thought. I suggest a coolant pressure test (before an unnecessary compression test), and allow it to set under pressure for several hours. Drain the oil and leave it open, with a drain pan below. Watch it for any coolant draining while it's under pressure.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default Update - Cooling system pressure test + oil filter change

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    That's a LOT of variables that certainly could explain water/coolant in the pan. A failed head gasket is possible, but with so many other more likely possibilities, hold that thought. I suggest a coolant pressure test (before an unnecessary compression test), and allow it to set under pressure for several hours. Drain the oil and leave it open, with a drain pan below. Watch it for any coolant draining while it's under pressure.
    Ok, I did this. I couldn't let it set for hours because I have a coolant leak that I was someone aware of at the lower radiator hose. I have cheapish eBay aluminum radiator and the OEM size hose doesn't match up with the outlet hose with the radiator. It was the closet thing I could find on eBay for $200. I kept it pressurized for maybe 10 minutes nothing drained from the oil pan except for oil.

I did change the oil (again) and the filter this time. I ran the car for maybe a minute and it looks like there is already a significant brown milky oil / water mixture already.

More variables. Where is the oil cooler plumbed?

That leaves only a cylinder leak-down test. Compression tests are helpful for other things, but essentially useless for identifying small cylinder leaks.

I doubt you'll find a head gasket failure, on this one. More likely, cylinder head or block crack.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    More variables. Where is the oil cooler plumbed?

That leaves only a cylinder leak-down test. Compression tests are helpful for other things, but essentially useless for identifying small cylinder leaks.

I doubt you'll find a head gasket failure, on this one. More likely, cylinder head or block crack.
    So this symptom randomly appeared. I have been working on this truck for 6 months and it randomly appeared over last couple weeks. Why would the head or block crack now? It sat in a field for 10 years and when I got the truck the radiator was plum full of coolant. I did pull 8 swollen glow plugs out of the head recently.

I ran the truck for an 30-45 minutes and the oil fill cap off. I was periodically checking and the water/oil milkshake mixture slowly disappeared. This was a few hours ago and now the engine has cooled down and there appears to be no water / oil mixture visible to the eye on the dip stick. There is still some water in the engine, I found some condensation on the oil filler cap which I placed back on the oil fill tube a 10 minutes after shutting off the engine. I just check just the oil fill cap a few minutes ago (that is when I found the condensation)

Head studs or stock tty bolts?

I have lost a significant amount of coolant during the glow plug removal but I also disconnect the heater core to get the back plug / injector and I just let the hoses dangle and the coolant drain during the process.
    Could it be possible that the loose heater hose drained coolant into the open hole after removing the injector/plug?