Thread: Need help in Missoula, MT

Default Need help in Missoula, MT

I have a customer in Missoula that has a 6.2 with ATS that won’t start. I am guessing it is the lift pump. I live in Belgrade a few hundred miles away and was wondering if there is anyone in the Missoula area that can help this guy out that is closer to his location?

He said he tried calling Jim several times but no answer. Does Jim still work on these motors?

My pump has a test light, also test the fuse..
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
    My pump has a test light, also test the fuse..
    I believe he is looking to see if anyone in Missoula will convert his mechanical lift pump to electric and a few other things.

My bad
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Quote Originally Posted by 2INSANE View Post
    I have a customer in Missoula that has a 6.2 with ATS that won’t start. I am guessing it is the lift pump. I live in Belgrade a few hundred miles away and was wondering if there is anyone in the Missoula area that can help this guy out that is closer to his location?

He said he tried calling Jim several times but no answer. Does Jim still work on these motors?
    These engines will/should run pretty well without a lift pump, if the fuel injection pump is healthy. There may be some fuel starvation symptoms while under load, but starting/driving/light cruising should be near normal.

Begin troubleshooting a no-start by determining whether the problem is due to a mechanical issue (i.e. timing) or a fuel issue (plugged fuel filter, no fuel in tank, etc.). Usually... almost always... a "no start" doesn't appear suddenly, but comes after a period of time where symptoms pointed to a looming problem. Knowing those symptoms helps in troubleshooting a no start.

My landline doesn't get answered whenever I'm not at the desk. Landlines are pounded by scammers and political calls.

Beyond working on our own stuff many-many times, I've not worked on these engines for others. The Diesel Page is primarily an editorial operation. That said, I've helped many tens of thousands of 6.2/6.5/Duramax owners through the years. Most problems can be solved over the phone or through email... if the owner is willing to accept and act on the advice. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with the 6.2/6.5 that I haven't heard of or helped with. And, I've been inside the Duramax enough to know a lot of things - not everything, but a lot...

The best way to reach me is through the contact link in my signature. I'll get back to you within 24 hours... usually. But, these forums contain a vast resource for tech and troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    These engines will/should run pretty well without a lift pump, if the fuel injection pump is healthy. There may be some fuel starvation symptoms while under load, but starting/driving/light cruising should be near normal.

Begin troubleshooting a no-start by determining whether the problem is due to a mechanical issue (i.e. timing) or a fuel issue (plugged fuel filter, no fuel in tank, etc.). Usually... almost always... a "no start" doesn't appear suddenly, but comes after a period of time where symptoms pointed to a looming problem. Knowing those symptoms helps in troubleshooting a no start.

My landline doesn't get answered whenever I'm not at the desk. Landlines are pounded by scammers and political calls.

Beyond working on our own stuff many-many times, I've not worked on these engines for others. The Diesel Page is primarily an editorial operation. That said, I've helped many tens of thousands of 6.2/6.5/Duramax owners through the years. Most problems can be solved over the phone or through email... if the owner is willing to accept and act on the advice. There's not a whole lot that can go wrong with the 6.2/6.5 that I haven't heard of or helped with. And, I've been inside the Duramax enough to know a lot of things - not everything, but a lot...

The best way to reach me is through the contact link in my signature. I'll get back to you within 24 hours... usually. But, these forums contain a vast resource for tech and troubleshooting.
    Ok thanks for the reply! I’ll let you know what customer wants to do.