Thread: My 1st 6.5 any suggestions............

Question

Just replaced my 02 Duramax with a 1994 (I orginaly typed 1996. Never type when tired) 6.5TD Suburban. Some history HERE

Reliability and ease of towing are my goals for this truck. I am planning the following upgrades in the order listed and would like your input on the order and if there are other items I should consider.

</font>
    • Guages (1st) Thinking of boost, EGT, charge temp, trans temp and oil temp.</font>
    • PMD relocation/cooler kit. (Is Kennedy the only one?)</font>
    • Timing Gears (whose to use?)</font>
    • Cooling mods (pump and dual T-stat crossover)</font>
    • Exhaust (whose to use?)</font>
    • Water injection</font>

Thanks in advance!

-Eric

[ 02-16-2004, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: MR.E ]
    1994 K2500 Suburban - Max-E-Tork, Turbo Master, PMD, exhaust, GM8, guages, etc...

markelectric Guest

Talk to Bill at Heath diesel. He is in Washington state also. He has anything you might want or need for your 6.5, and is a Suburban owner.

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Thumbs up

Howdy
    sounds like your going in the right direction!
    Lots of guys have made their own FSD cooler. Also there seems to be some for sale on Ebay, some good some bad. Do a search on this site as there was a discussion not to long ago. I personally havegiven JK most of my business because he is relatively close and he was the first person I talked to with a good knowledge of these trucks.
    Also his customer service is OUTSTANDING.
    Check on cyberdyne gauges for your charge temp. They make an ambient air and a amp temp gauge that should be adaptable.
    Lots of GREAT posts on inexpensive exhaust systems also.
    My truck is a "99 so I can't help on the cooling mods.
    Synthetic fluids are a GOOD thing.
    Who knows you might like this truck so much that you keep her!
    Do you do any of your own wrenching on your jeep?
    My summer project is a 78 quadratrac. Any hints?
    L8r
    Conley

Marty Lau Guest

I second the Bill Heath suggestion I have bought a number of items from him and find him to be a straight up guy. Bill is generous with his knowlege and operates a number of 6.5TD trucks. He is in Ellensburg just about 2 hours from you.

Personally I suggest:
    1st exhaust, 2nd gauges, then other mods.