Thread: And about the rust...

I just posted a question about the options one has for new powerplants. In a related matter, does anyone here have a definitive solution for the rocker panel rust that plagues this body series?

It is not a new issue with me, I've owned some other Chevy trucks with that body. But this is my first extended cab, and r&r for the area behind the door is suprisingly pricey. One thing possibly in my favor is that area is black on mine, perhaps permitting a patch, and some of that rubber coating material?

Mark

I can't help you, as I have yet to see any trucks built since 1988 with rust in that location. Come to think of it, I have seen very few trucks built since 1988 with much rust at all. Unlike the 70's and 80's body style. Of course that all depends on what part of the country you live and what they use for ice melters on the hiways.
    2005 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC Duramax SLT
    265 Toyo Open Country

I did that with my ford s/c I had. I patched the cleaned out the hole and I used fiberglass resin. Then I sanded to finish. Masked off the whole bottem 3 inches of the truck. I primed, painted then used spray on bed liner. That spray on bed liner is tuff stuff, did all of this for less then 100.00 and a little time and sweat.
    02 ZR2 tracker<br />94 2500 6.5 TD suburban

Knock on wood not a touch of rust on my 96,even my 85 didn't have any. Maybe its your part of the world. I've seen some previous generation trucks that were used to boats in salt water and the back half underside was almost gone in less than 10 yrs. Last real bad rust prone trucks i remember was the those 73-77 models.
    Hudb1

Dvldog 8793 Guest

Thumbs up

Howdy
    We have LOTS of rust in Minnesota. My '89 welding rig is just about done if you know what I mean.
    The best prevent would seem to be cleaning.
    Open up all the drain holes in that part of the cab, sometimes these are welding shut/cripmed shut accidently from the factory. See if you can gain access to the inside of the rocker and cab corner from in the cab and flush the hell out of everything. dry it out good, use somekind of rust STOPPER or converter and then under coat. Once rust starts it is impossible to stop completly
    I think the main thing is getting the water to dry up. if your drains are pluged then you have problems.
    Hope this helps!
    L8r
    Conley