Thread: The Long and Short (block )of it?

Just a simple question - I read through posts and hear folks talking about long blocks or short blocks (mostly when talking about cracks in blocks....) I've done some searching, and haven't really gotten to the core (pun partially intended) meaning of this - so - could I have a quick translation into the simplest of motorhead-ese? What is a long block/short block, and the difference between? Thanks for the ongoing education.
    \'95 \'Burb 2500 4WD, 3\" exhaust, Eagle Alloys, Heath Balance Flow and 21\" 9 blade fan plus driver cooling mods, Heath PMD Isolater, plus ISSPRO Pyro and boost gauges waiting to be installed - 199K miles and counting - Towing Moosenstein - the locked and loaded trail Jeepster Commando.

ace58 Guest

Simple version is, a short block is the engine block fitted with the reciprocating assembly,and a long block is a short block with cylinder heads.

I learn something new every day - especially as a TDP member. Thanks!
    \'95 \'Burb 2500 4WD, 3\" exhaust, Eagle Alloys, Heath Balance Flow and 21\" 9 blade fan plus driver cooling mods, Heath PMD Isolater, plus ISSPRO Pyro and boost gauges waiting to be installed - 199K miles and counting - Towing Moosenstein - the locked and loaded trail Jeepster Commando.