Thread: Would like to change out auto trans for manual

I would like to change out my automatic transmission for a manual (the more gears the better but has to have an OD) on my 99 K3500 CC Dually. Where would be a good source for the parts and about how much would it cost? I will be doing all the work myself. What could I sell my automatic for? The truck has 78000 miles on it.

There is nothing wrong with the auto I just don't like to tow with an auto. The added fuel economy is also an incentive as well as the reduced cooling requirements. I have heat problems when towing hard in the mountains where I have to drop to 2nd gear, the TCC doesn't lock and there is a lot of converter slip.

twaddle Guest

Hi there,
    What about trying some the companies listed at the bottom of the page in the article on the Duramax Suburban on the DP.

Let us know how you get on if you do the conversion.

I would prefer a manual gearbox on my suburban.
    It would let me decide when to change up or down and let the torque of the engine do the work.

Jim Twaddle
    Biggar, Scotland

Kidd Guest

If you are changing from Auto to manual, try and find a wrecked truck. I did this on an older dually, and you need a whole bunch of parts.
    K.D.

mhagie Guest

IMHO You will not tow any better with a stick, if you get the converter to lock up in second you will see a noticable improvement,the converter builds a LOT of heat under load unlocked.locked it is the same as a dry clutch.
    There are suppliers out there that make kits I believe that will give you more control over your tranny.
    That said good luck which ever path you decide to take.............Merle