Thread: windshield wiper short / problem

I couldn't find an answer by searching, so I'm asking if anyone has run into the situation where the windshield wiper runs sometimes and other times (within a few minutes) will not run. Vehicle is 95 6.5 3/4 4X4 5 speed. We cannot find the short and while it does not rain often here, it does occasionally as well as winter snows. Any thoughts? And no, we haven't replaced the entire switch yet. Thanks

a5150nut Guest

Comon problem with these. The site got trashed and thats why you didn't find anything on wipers.

Usualy its a short in the connector on the printed circut board in the wiper motor. You can re solder the board where the wire harness connects or replace it with a new one.

Try taking the covor off the wiper motor and turn the key on and the wipers on.
    Then wiggle the connector on it. On my brother's truck it would spark at the bad solder joints.
    1995 Chevy K2500 Ext. cab 6.5L.<br />1993 GMC K1500 Ext. cab 6.5L with Banks Turbo

To everyone
    Look under doctor Lee Intermiting wiper an you will see the recall list that posted.
    Silverado
    Bruce
    '98 K3500 EXT CAB DUALLY 6.5
    '01 K3500 EXT CAB LT D/A DUALLY

StephenA Guest

So far, by resoldering the connectors, I have fixed two intermittant wiper units, in about 5 minutes. They work correctly now. Just open up the module, pull out the circuit board, & resolder the connector & pop it back in- works like a charm!
    Good Luck!
    Stephen

Thank you Gentleman. As always, TDP users come through. THANKS!

twaddle Guest

I have had serious problems with intermittant wipers and also the washers as well on my Sub.

I disconnected the multiplug connector at the wiper motor, removed the circuit board expecting to find a burnt solder connection. The card looked as if it was brand new with no signs of damage.

I had found that if I wiggled the multiplug that the wipers etc worked ok.

I brushed a small amount of dielectric grease onto each connector pin on the multiplug connections.
    So far it's been OK (touch wood)

If only the stalling fault could be fixed so easily, Damn engine just began stalling again.
    Hasn't done that for six and a half months since I put extra earth cables from the l/h/s battery to
    the rhs battery and the inner fender.
    Guess it's time to replace all the battery cables with new H/D cables.

Good luck

Jim Twaddle
    Biggar, Scotland

twaddle@globalnet.co.uk

Talk to your loco dealer and get an appointment to have the wiper circuit board replaced under the recall program that is currently in effect. I got a notice from GM about this a few months ago, they've had a lot of problems with this part. I'll bet your year is covered. The only reason I haven't done it yet is I hate someone else's tools under my hood.
    Good luck!
    Rapid

The recall only covers certain vin codes. Neither my brother's '94 or my '95 were covered even though they had the problem.

The solder connections myght not look burnt, they just crack and it is sometimes hard to see. It can't hurt to just re-solder them all.
    1995 Chevy K2500 Ext. cab 6.5L.<br />1993 GMC K1500 Ext. cab 6.5L with Banks Turbo

twaddle Guest

I think I will have to solder them, The suburban came back in last night with my friend who'd been using it telling me that the washers were not working. However they did work when I tried them, but the problems obviously back.

My wife is telling me to sell the truck what with these problems especially the stalling which has just shown up after 6 1/2months of no stalling faults.
    My buddy is telling me to sell the truck and we will both go to Texas in December and buy a couple of gas engined sub's.
    If I don't cure the stalling by December that might just happen.

Jim Twaddle
    Biggar, Scotland
    twaddle@globalnet.co.uk

twaddle Guest

I think I will have to solder them, The suburban came back in last night with my friend who'd been using it telling me that the washers were not working. However they did work when I tried them, but the problems obviously back.

My wife is telling me to sell the truck what with these problems especially the stalling which has just shown up after 6 1/2months of no stalling faults.
    My buddy is telling me to sell the truck and we will both go to Texas in December and buy a couple of gas engined sub's.
    If I don't cure the stalling by December that might just happen.

Jim Twaddle
    Biggar, Scotland
    twaddle@globalnet.co.uk

The older wiper motors, and I do not know what years fail not because of the connector but because there is a printed circuit wire on the very edge of the board that acts like a fuse. If you remove the cover you can clearly see this wire if it has opened. Lay a solid wire acroos the open and solder in place.
    On the newer wiper if the fail while on the road just tap the motor will most likely restart the wipers till you get home.
    1997 Chevy 2500 4x4, Intercooler, BD Computer, BD Exhaust Brake, BD Torque Lock, Propane Assisted from Trailer, Remote trans cooler, and More on my page http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9
    My other project.
    http://mysite.verizon.net/vze54tx9/kayak

StephenA Guest

Until I looked at the connector solder joints with a loop, I couldn't see the hair line fractures. Resolder them & no more problems.

my 95 had it replaced by the dealer in the recall, nothing wrong with mine...had it in for pre-trip inspection they switched it out without asking me...but hey nothing mysterious popped up afterwards so i guess they did an ok job
    2003 GMC Sierra K2500 D/A CC sb<br />1995 Chevrolet Silverado K2500,6.5TD sb,xcab <a href=\"http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/swartos.htm\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.thedieselpage.com/readers/swartos.htm</a> <br />1999 Bonneville SSEI<br />1972 Mustang Convertible 351C