Thread: Hey, More Power "Sustain 10psi" clarification

More Power or anybody in the know. In a previuos post to Cowracer,More Power said he should sustain 10psi w/o an intercooler. My question is:do you mean 10psi max w/a load pulling a hill or hard acceleration or 10psi going down a flat and level road,just cruzing?

I have an I/C and set Turbo Master at max 13-14psi max w/load or on heavy accelleration. Cruzing it is much lower, I would guess 5-8#s. I looked in Websters for the heck of it. Sustain=To keep in existence,maintain. I'm, just curious if I can or should turn up the Turbo Master a liitle
    more. In all the old post Ive read this has never been really clearly defined.

My power is awsome thanks to TDP.
    92 GMC std cab C2500, Kennedy high flow injectors,port matched, Banks exhaust & gauges, intercooler, 97 cooling, Turbo Master.A means for a Toy

patrick m. Guest

i believe he meant 10psi at heavy pull.
    with an intercooler and a factory turbo, max "usable" boost seems to be 12 psi. more than 12psi just builds too much exhaust backpressure before the turbo.
    i have adjusted mine many times and found i get no more power above 12psi. even at 15psi (which is the absolute max possible on my truck) i get no more power
    i am leaning towards Kennedy's turbo upgrade, but waiting to hear about other options and experiences from the guys.

Arrow

Let's say you're pulling a long grade with a trailer..... Try for a sustained 10 psi max for most of the hill. This is a high power demand situation. While cruising at highway speed unloaded, you might see 3-5 or so psi.

A momentary boost spike at say 11-14 isn't that important, it is the longer duration sustained boost pressure that I was referring to.

MP

Hello More Power-
    How about with an intercooler and the load and hill?

Thanks for the responses. That's what I thought originally, and thats where I'm at.

PatrickM, I did have it set around 10-12 psi w/intercoller. I upped it to 13-14psi a did see an improvement in power when pulling. It holds speed better & helped EGTS slightly.
    92 GMC std cab C2500, Kennedy high flow injectors,port matched, Banks exhaust & gauges, intercooler, 97 cooling, Turbo Master.A means for a Toy