Thread: Edge power level when towing?

Question

I recently installed the Edge EZ to tow my 12K fifth wheel (actual loaded weight). I hope to reduce the amount of downshifting out of overdrive as I travel along the interstates. The Edge literature recommends that power level 1 be used unless you tow light. I have installed an EGT gauge and a boost gauge on my truck, but everything else is stock.

I made about a 20 mile trip with my unloaded trailer to check things out and was surprised at how quickly the EGT would climb to 1200 or 1250 on what I regarded as moderate inclines. I had T/H turned on, the cruise set for about 1900-2000 rpm, which was giving me about 63 mph. I tried power level 1, and the truck downshifted from overdrive on 2 moderate inclines. In power level 2, I did not experience any downshifts.

For those who have towed heavy using the Edge EZ or the Juice, what power level have you used and what has been your experience with EGTs? Will I be safe using level 2 so long as I keep an eye on the EGT, or would I be smarter to just put it on level 1 and accept what I can get?

Given the rapid increase in EGTs on piddling hills in Missouri, I am somewhat concerned about the 6% grade headed west out of Walsenburg, CO that seems to go on forever to get over La Veta Pass at a little over 10,000 feet.
    2003 Duramax/Allison 3500 Silverado ext. cab 4x4; J&J Tubeless Tapered Running Boards, Retrax cover, Line-X

I think you're going to find most Edge users towing in level two. I have the Juice/Attitude and tow a fifth wheel. The truck and trailer and us in it weigh @18000 and temps almost always stay well within a safe range. I don't think I've ever seen 1400 degrees on my attitude monitor.
    Zip. Go Vols!
    Diesel Page member #8842
    http://community.webshots.com/user/dnstclr
    2002 K2500HD DMax White EC LWB

DmaxProf, I've wrestled with exactly the same thing you're asking about. these are the right questions if you're going to Colorado. I tow my 15k 5th wheel over the Rockies, Sierras, Cascades, and the other mountains of the West, and am concerned about EGT too. I've decided to limit them to 1320, splitting Banks & Edge recommendations, and get on with life. (I've reached 1320 more than once.) I've got an Attitude with it's built-in limiter so I don't have to keep an eagle eye on the gauge like you do.

The Level 1 vs 2 question is a toss-up with me. I personally don't have a problem with Level 2 or even 3 IF I limit EGT religously. It does reduce downshifting. You could go back to Level 1 as you start a long climb. If it is of any value to you, I posted some results of EGT testing - check http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...;f=13;t=000391

A free flowing exhaust system does lower EGT. http://www.kennedydiesel.com/photoga...4-5exhaust.htm has dyno results. A replacement muffler (cheaper?) might bring most of this improvement.

Hope this helps.
    2002 2wd 2500 EC/LB, Attitude/Juice, Allied 4" Exhaust, 265/75R16 LRE Pirellis, Bilsteins, Timbrens, 34' Automate 5th Wheel RV Trailer

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate benefiting from everyone's experience and expertise on this forum.
    2003 Duramax/Allison 3500 Silverado ext. cab 4x4; J&J Tubeless Tapered Running Boards, Retrax cover, Line-X

OC_DMAX Guest

Isuzu/DMAX has changed the spec to Garrett (Turbo Manufacture) for 2006. They have increased the max EGT temp. So looks like the trend will continue with the newly re-designed DMAX engine for 2006.