Thread: Does not start! HELP

Ok here is what happend and where I am at.
    Have only had the truck for a few months which is a '93 6.5Turbo diesel.
    Had a couple times where I would start the truck and I would start down the road and it would stall. Sometimes it would fire back up quick, another time it took a couple of minutes.
    Then it got to where I had to let the truck sit for about 4 hour stretches before I could start it again.
    Now it won't start at all!
    Now during this time I had also had a little help by my son putting in a few gallons (6) of gas... I filled it the rest of the way with Diesel... I know I know, not real good to do that.... but I hope that 6 gallons out of 30some does not kill it. I did get through a few tank fulls since that point before now.
    Well finding out about the little pump underneath I went to buy one and when I came home I went under the truck to look at how hard it might be to change this out. Well first thing I noticed was BOTH wires were not connected at all!!! Knowing that is not a good thing I connected the wires and now it would pump.
    Still all I had was where I got it to start for about 40 seconds. Now nothing.
    One other thing is that the last night I had it running, it would stall out on me and I could restart it while still driving down the road. Also if I let up on the pedal while going down any road at 30 or even 55, it would stall out.
    "Guys" I need to find out what is going on here. It sounds like it is starved for fuel? How do I go about trouble shooting this etc.
    This is my first diesel and I am mechanically inclined where I do a lot of my own work on all my other cars, truck & RV....
    I do know that this truck does not have the PCM that gets burned out. Which a friend of mine just had happened and the fix was to bring the new one out from under leaving the old one right there. Made a heat sink to mount it on and start it up...
    One thing I am going to check up on is each glow plugg to see if any are bad. Checked one so far just to see how it works. Which it did.
    So I am now going to be waiting for all your helpful hints.

Welcome aboard!

Your problem sounds like air in the fuel system, not the glow plugs or gasoline.

Click the link to the Member's Area at the top of the page. Then click the link to the Reference Section. The 6.2L/6.5L Diesel Troubleshooting Guide and other articles have pages and pages of very helpfull information. Start with the guide.

If you have burned out any glow plugs, read up on replacing them with newer types that are more reliable.

Good luck.
    '94 Suburban 2500 6.5L 2WD Trailer RPO
    '89 Reg. Cab 2500 6.2L 2WD Manual 4sp
    '83 Suburban 1500 6.2L 4WD 700R4
    '83 Blazer 1500 6.2L 4WD 700R4
    Miscellaneous Gassers

Well so far so good with the air lock. Just need to know how to get at the two lines under the heat shield where the turbo is??? Those two I am having fits getting to.
    Other than that I did finally get it to start. That was a good sign for me.
    Now there is still the problem of how it quits when I left off the pedal.
    Now after having it running for about 40 minutes, again it will not start!! One thing I am noticing is the glow plug light does not come on while it was still warm. Also I no longer hear the pump underneath pumping when I try to start it.
    Guess I should replace this then?
    Can this be a good reason why the truck will stall if this is not pumping the right way?

tom.mcinerney Guest

You can access the lines under heat shield if remove heat shield...it needs flexing, can slide up. But unlikely you must crack the unions to all the injectors; those two will eventually bleed , i think.
    If you still have a few gallons of gasoline in tank, add a diesel fuel lubricity additive, or some two-cycle oil to minimize further friction-related damage to fuel components.
    There's a decent chance your fuel injection pump is worn out, and the partial gas fill didn't help it. Fuel injection pumps fail when hot--the worn tolerances limit the pressure they can generate below that required by the injectors. How many miles on the Fuel Injection Pump, and engine/truck??
    If you're running a mechanical pump, the 6.2L forum has more knowledgeable commentary on its' troubleshooting.
    To mine the forum for info, check out the "SEARCH" feature --click on 'search' between 'my profile' and 'faq' above [just below the line, 'Post a Reply'].
    Good luck.