Thread: 6.5 loosing coolant

I have a 94 6.5 3/4 ton diesel that is loosing coolant some were, its not a fast leak i just have to add coolant like every 2 weekes but it needs to be fixed. my oil coloration is the rite colour but i dont know were to look to find the leak. any help would be awsome
    clint

NH2112 Guest

There are several ways to check for leaking head gaskets (or a cracked head or block.) You can feel the upper radiator hose immediately after a cold start, if it's hard combustion gasses are pressurizing it. You can look for bubbles in the coolant recovery bottle, this is also caused by combustion gasses getting into the water jacket. Pulling the coolant crossover and running the engine will tell you which side the leak is in, just siphon an inch or so of coolant out of the ports so it doesn't splash all over. Lastly, a mirror at the exhaust pipe will fog up if water's coming out the exhaust.

You could also give the engine a thorough cleaning - VERY thorough - then use some UV dye, the special light to make it flouresce, and UV-enhancing glasses to find where an external leak is coming from. They don't always form drops that fall and land on the ground.