Thread: best engine rebuilder

How do ? It's time for a new engine...this one leaves a blue trail. I have an '82 6.2 w/Banks Sidewinder but I'm going to install a 6.5(with the Sidewinder) so I'm looking for recommendations on the best rebuilder. I am guessing I will have to have it shipped to Northern California unless someone knows of an excellent rebuilder here. Thanks for any input. brad moore.

Brad, there really aren't any worthwhile rebuilders that I know of here in California. The two rebuilders that are thought of here on the DP are Diesel Auto Services and Diesel Depot. Both are excellent rebuilders and have a good track record with a good deal of engines being placed in DP member trucks. I personally went with DAS because I was living in Tacoma at the time and it was only a five hour drive to their shop. I have also dealt with the Diesel Depot on some parts purchases. I think both are excellent choices and would not go with anyone else. If I had to choose between the two I would say that DAS is my choice, because I know the owners personally and have watched their business grow to be quite impressive. Paul and Lisa are really just genuinely good people and they have an excellent product combined with excellent service.
    1985 GMC Suburban 3/4T 4x4 Sierra Classic<BR> Mods: Banks Turbo, Propane Injection, Real HID Headlights, Milemarker Winch, 2.5 Pro Comp Lift, BFG 33\'s.

Well... if you lived in the midwest, I'd give you a bid on the build job. Keep your 82 all '82 if you can.. better castings with high nickle content, better rocker arms (iron rockers & metal spacers) than the later years (with the stamped steel rockers& plastic retainers)... have you ever seen a plastic retainer come out of a stamped steel rocker? when it does... it has a dead miss and if it swallows a push rod as a result... new motor time!.... I'll definatly give Diesel Depot a plug, Jamie runs a tight ship and I buy a lot of my parts from them and they have a good selection of hard to find stuff for the old "coarse thread head" 6.2 I don't know about diesel mechs in CA though... I know there is supposed to be an excellent place in Vancouver BC Good Luck!!! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Scott K<br /><br />\'79 Chevy K30 Crew Cab Dually from Arizona, Resto Project with conversion from 7mpg 454 to \'82 6.2 J. Pulling fact SM465, NP205, 4.56 cogs, Dana60 frnt, Dana70HD rear. Looking for good used turbo and OD

CleviteKid Guest

Arrow

I have to disagree on the rocker arms. The original iron rockers with bronze bushings wore the bushings and the rocker shafts pretty quickly. The new hardened steel-on-steel will last almost forever. But do put in new plastic retainers - problems arise when someone tries to re-use the old ones. GM really did have a better idea when they improved the rocker arms. All the good rebuilders use the newer rockers.

Dr. Lee