Thread: Glow controller Upgrade

I have an 83 GMC K2500 6.2 with 120,000 miles.I have put alot of work into her and I think its controller time, again!I''ve replaced within the past year cables ,batterys,Injectors,Pump,AG 60 glow plugs,and a gear reduction starter.She does not want to start when it sits for 1 hr or so.When I replaced the controller(NAPA) 2 years ago the glow plugs would cycle always at start .She starts fine when cold.So am I wrong to think the controller is going bad? This is the second one.If anyone can give me insight before I spend the bucks on a controler and harness to upgrade it to the 85 electronic system.I'd relly be grateful.PS the symptoms are the same as they were when I first replaced the controller

I would go ahead and do the upgrade. I did in my '84. You'll be glad you did.

Your details are a little sketchy to guess at your problem.

I know a GM dealer in Nebraska that sells on the internet for a little above cost.

In my case the ignition swith is sending 12V to the controller intermittently so sometimes I have to play with the key to get the plugs to light.
    Mark B. <BR>\'96 Chevrolet C2500 6.5TD<BR>7200 GVWR, Ext cab 6\'Bed<BR>Kennedy 3.5 Exhaust<BR>Kennedy Phazer, FSD Cooler, Boost Control<BR>\'97 cooling mods <BR>Isspro Boost/ Pyro<BR>A-pillar pod<BR>-1.94 TDC offset<BR>Airbox mods, Amsoil air<P>\"American, Proud & Free\"

Dumb question! The ignition switch that would be on the collum behind the dash not the lock ,right?

That is correct.
    83 K-20 8600 GVW, NA 6.2 \"J\", T-400, New interior, 2.5\" lift, 33X12.50X16.5, 3\" Dual Exhaust, AmsOil Dual Stage Air Filter, Lots More!!! FOR SALE!!! robertsonthego at msn dot com

After going through several Glow Plug Controllers in several years, I by-passed it! I put a 30A, spring-loaded, push-button, momentary switch (designed as an ignition switch) in the dash and I have complete control over when the glow-plugs are on and off. Works great and my glow-plugs no lomger fail regularly!
    1983 K20 6.2L-Banks Turbo Suburban

NH2112 Guest

Are you using the switch to pull in a heavy duty relay that handles the actual power to the glow plugs? If not, you're asking for melted wiring at a minimum, and possibly a fire.