Thread: Anyone ever dyno a TE06H 6.2?

Hey guys, just finshed(sorta) a sm465 swap. I say sort of because I need to pull it apart again and figure out what the hell is making noise once the trans warms up. Anyway, with the standard the truck is a slug. I guess it's mostly not having a converter and the gear ratios being so far apart. I am aquiring a TE06H off of ebay and I'm currently running a banks sidewinder setup. The Truck basically builds little to no boost until roughly 2000 rpm. Once up to speed it will build 8-10 psi, which you can feel fairly well in the seat of your pants. With the sm465 and the 3.73s the truck basically drops back down to above idle range with each shift. Do you think I will be able to feel the difference with the "new" turbo? My egt's have dropped almost 200 degrees with the standard, I might try turning the injection pump and see if that helps. Let me know about your past experiences....
    Thanks,
    Mike Pascino
    1991 k2500 burb 6.2

john8662 Guest

The T04B style turbo that comes with the banks kit doesn't really have a problem developing boost, but rather when the engine is really spun up of making too much boost in some configurations. If you are not making high EGT's then you can play with turning up the fuel a little more. I've read on here that timing of the engine also impacts how well the turbo makes boost. I don't know for sure, all my 6.2's are n/a, but I just can't wait to get the time to install a turbo.

As your title states, it would be interesting to see how a TE06H performs on the dyno. I've got one collecting dust, and I know Stray Cat is doing a 6.2TD dyno test, I don't know what turbo's he is planning on trying.

From what I've read around here, people report the TE06H making more boost at lower rpms. I've been told it's possible to put out up to 20 psi, although not usually recommended....I only have about 9k miles on the rebuilt motor, and was hoping to intercool somehow in the future. I was hoping to run 12-15 psi. More importantly I was hoping to boost a bit lower than 2000 rpm. The truck is drivable, but hills I am drastically limited speed wise. I can't imagine towing anything heavy up a grade right now and exceeding 35-40 mph......

see if you can view the pics in my sig

Grape...it looks like you have the intercooler behind the radiator...is that correct? If so, does it work okay there? I thought it had to be out front.
    As to the dyno test...I plan to start with N/A and stock manifolds, 6.2L injectors and IP...then N/A headers...then Banks manifolds and turbo (1.0 A/R)...then Banks compression turbine with 0.84 A/R exhaust turbine...then 6.5L injectors...then 6.5L IP (4911). I wouldn't mind testing another Turbo if it is plug 'n' play and sent soon. I don't want to spend a lot of time fabing to fit something or waiting for it to arrive as I need to eventually get this back into my Suburban!
    Let me know if someone has a turbo that is plug 'n' play that they are willing to send for testing!
    1983 K20 6.2L-Banks Turbo Suburban

my intercooler is in front of the radiator. In the pics the radiator isn't there.

gmctd Guest

The 6.2 requires a wastegated turbo to make Boost at low rpm - the TE06H is wastegated, the standard Banks turbo is not.

You will see great improvement with the TE06H.

Grape

What is happening with your turbo setup, any results yet?

Danie
    Danie

1982 Blazer ("Ratau" ROAR OFF THE BIG LION in African Tswana language.) 6.2L N/A, 700R4, 3.08 gears, 33" BF's. DSG timing gears, 12" Donaldson air filter, J intake and dual 2.5" exhaust. The rest stock.

The 6.2/6.5 should not be boosted over 12 PSI max. This little beastie will not tollerate the thermodynamic stress of high boost. The EGT will soar and you will melt the little guy. getting boost at low RPM is a problem with some turbo's as they need airflow to spin them up. The stock GM one likes about 1500-1800 rpm to work well.
    Many folks are trying aftercoolers but the benfits are minimal at the low boost pressures these little engines can stand. I did a lot of research on the concept of raising boost and doing the aftercooler thing on the 6.2/6.5 and the overall findings are that the engine will simply not live a long life once the boost exceeds factory levels by much. The block and heads as well as the pistons are too light as is the crank. This engine family is best used with minimal mods. The 7.3 Powerstoke on the other hand is a somewhat beefier and will tollerate more boost as long as you aftercool them. Diesels just have to be real heavy to stand major HP output Unless longevity is of no concern.
    Robyn
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY