Thread: Starter Circuit

I have just purchased a 84 CUCV Blazer & am trying to get it running. I have changed the key switch, Put in new batteries & checked the starter. I am not getting power to the starter solenoid. Where is the starter relay, what does it look like & how do I test it? Are there any other relays or circuits that need to be operating/engaged before the solenoid is energized? I am new to the Diesel world & am trying to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.

Hopefully this will work. If not post or send me your email and I'll send the circuit diagrams to you.
    84 M1009 CUCV 6.2 'J' spec everyday runaround

83 M1008 CUCV everyday runaround/workhorse.

83 M1008 CUCV 6.2 'J' spec budget project off roader.

Thanks for the reply. Does the "WaterinFuel" relay need to be closed, and the "anode/Cathode/ switch also to get the starter relay to activate? Do you know of a way to test the starter relay?

The starter relay is mounted just above the steering column behind the dash.

SimonUK
    84 M1009 CUCV 6.2 'J' spec everyday runaround

83 M1008 CUCV everyday runaround/workhorse.

83 M1008 CUCV 6.2 'J' spec budget project off roader.

dieselcrawler Guest

Perhaps the starter relay being bad is why my truck had a pushbutton on the dash when I got it. Still does, if it ain't broke.... starts every time!

Good luck finding your problem.

Greg

Thanks for the schematics & thanks for the idea! I had thought about putting a pushbutton under the hood for remote starting...Maybe on the dash also!

dieselcrawler Guest

If you're going to the trouble of a pushbutton under the hood, add one as a kill switch, in the intrest of saftey. Granted, all you gotta do is yank the pink wire off the injection pump, but a button could be up out of harms way, away from the fan and belts.

Make sure the switch and any wire you use are the correct size as per the exsisting wire, and are heavy enough for the load they supply. As an electrician, I find so meny problems that are traced back to someone not knowing to use the proper size wire for the load, and no fuses, and this leads to the wire melting. Sometimes the whole house (or truck) goes up with it. I'll get off my soap box now... Just make me proud, no hack jobs on wiring. *grin* good luck...

Greg