Thread: TONS OF BLACK SMOKE NO POWER

Petrella Guest

Hey guys, i got a 1988 chevy half ton newer style pick up with the c motor. today i was driving along the highway and the brake light comes on, and the truck loses all power and black smoke comes out like crazy. Anyway i check the fuse for the ecm, its burnt, i changed it, the truck runs normal but brake light still on. go down the road fuse blows no power and smoke again. so i disconnected the abs computer and the brake light goes of, and im not burning fuses anymore. when i connect the abs computer i start burning the ecm fuse again, and once again lots of smoke no power. so i left the abs computer disconnected, and everything is back to normal. so what should i do leave the abs computer disconnected or go to the wreckers and pick one up? does the ecm fuse power the abs computer? it must cause when i plug it in it burns out after driving a mile. i know i get lack of power and tons of smoke because of the lack of power to the ecm, when i change the fuse the engine runs beautiful. so im assuming the abs computer has a short in it causing the ecm fuse to keep burning. anyone wanna back me up on this????

thanks

Anthony

1988 chevy 1/2 ton 6.2 2WD
    1994 GMC Suburban 4x4 6.5

gmctd Guest

May be worse than that - could be the hydraulic unit.
    ABS module from the boneyard should tell the tale, but the truck will stop without ABS.
    PCM must be for emissions - EGR, ERV, etc.

I had a '91 S-10 when I was in high school that would blow the ECM fuse all the time with out warning(it sucks when you doing 70 mph on the freeway in rush hour). I eventually found the short with the advise of a G.M. mechanic it was where the main wiring harness ran down above the bellhousing. He told me at the time that this was fairly commmon of G.M. trucks. Might be a place to start.

The only difference was that the fuel pump was on the same circut on the S-10 so everything was dead when it blew.

Tony