Thread: Glow plug-starting problem

pstrother Guest

Red face

Hey Guys,
    Got a problem with the glow plug system and it has me stumped, that is not hard to do. At start attempt, no glow plug light and no start. Engine is turning over great, glow plug sensor and relay are fine, relay is cycling and I have battery voltage at the relay on the battery side (all the time). I R&R'd the Sensor and relay just to be sure, due to this happening before and the sensor was bad. I read continuity on the glow plug side to the frame, and I really don't know if I should. I have not checked the glow plugs because the wiring diagram indicates that the light should work even if the plugs don't. I also notice a fusible link in the diagram, but I am not sure if this is blown, on both sides, that it will effect the light function. HELP!

Some of the other guys on here can probably confirm, but I think you should read continuity between the glow plug connectors and frame ground. Glow plugs are basically just resistors... so you would have continuity but the impedence would be high?

The problem may be in the glow plug interrupter switch - looks like a brass coolant temperature sending unit but has 2 plugs instead of 1; located on the passenger's side low on the block between cylinders 6&8 or on the passenger's side of the intake somewhere around the coolant cross-over.

pstrother Guest

Thanks, I was gonna check that next, but the light not coming on is what keeps throwing me for some reason.

Be sure to check the ground wire for the system - that's what it was on mine - pulled off, wire brushed, replaced with a star washer for better contact.

AA
    1986 K2500 Suburban w/91 \"J\" 6.2<br />Banks Turbo, TH700R4, 4.11<br />Arctic Injector Pump, rebuilt injectors<br />Next Project:Install<br />DB2-4911 & 6.5 Injectors<br />MHI TEO6H & Dual Idler Gear Drive

pstrother Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks Alaska Aviator...........I checked both the ground to the frame and to the engine. One was corroded and the other was not as tight as I would have liked it. Anyway I cleaned and replaced both. [img]smile.gif[/img]