Thread: rod bearing

rob1681 Guest

I have a 1988 gmc 6.2L diesel.It was rebuilt about 35000 miles ago...a few weeks ago it chewed up a rod bearing.Do any one thing it would be ok if i put a crank kit in it.

p.s need to get it running have thrird child on the way.

Well,a crank kit would be okay,if you can find a good used crank someplace(have it magnafluxed to check for cracks)and replace all your bearings.That'll work fine i think.I'd give it a go.But be cautious of any grindings or metal particles which could be in any oil galleries.That'll damage your new crank in a hurry,so be careful.

[ 04-21-2004, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: 5.7L oldsdiesel ]
    80\'Olds 5.7 DIESEL

rob1681 Guest

i have a friend at a local auto parts store that can get me a crank kitwith rod bearing ,main bearings,reman crank ,oil pump and gaskets for 300.00 dollars..how does that sound

Sounds like a good deal for sure.300 bucks is perfect. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    80\'Olds 5.7 DIESEL

rob1681 Guest

hey, found out today his parts suppier does not stock the part any more,I can not find a 6.2L in my area ,but i did find a 5.7 diesel and elderly man has 1985 olds 62000 original miles on it for 400.00 dollars .The only thing will it carry my 88 sububan around?

britannic Guest

IMHO: You'll be a lot happier finding another 6.2 or 6.5L and dropping that in there, unless you're prepared for a drop in power.

mhagie Guest

The best thing to do with the 5.7 is keep it in the olds and drive it untill you get the burb going.
    As for a crank try Jamie at The Diesel Depot he most likely has a good crank at a reasonable cost, they are listed in the advertisers section.........Merle

It'll do the job,but there is a slight dip in power over the 6.2.It is a DX block(pretty durable),and in 1985,that engine was perfect.You'll need the adapter plate to make it work.I did the same thing with my truck and it works like a charm.I'd go for it.It'll work nicely.
    80\'Olds 5.7 DIESEL