Thread: temperature gauge

mhagie Guest

When I did the diesel conversion on my 84 I first used a 180* thermostat and the dash temp gauge ran around 200-205* this spring I changed stat to a 195* now the gauge runs 220-225*.
    Does anyone have a idea how to get the gauge a little closer to actual temp it makes me nervous to see that high a temp even though I know its a bogus reading, thanks........Merle

Sounds like your numbers are right in line. If you want the gage to read the same as your thermostat, you'll have to tweak the needle (I'm NOT suggesting you do that). The actual temp will always (after up to operating temp) be higher than the opening temp of the stat. Just the nature of the beast. Is your gage more accurate than you'd care for it to be??

I'd suggest putting the 180
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

CleviteKid Guest

Thumbs down

The GM gauges in the 1984 trucks leave a LOT to be desired. My coolant temp. gauge reads between 145F and 155F depending on how hard I am working it, the outside ambient temp, and whether or not I am running the A/C (about 315 days a year in Miami). I have put at least half a dozen different Robertshaw 180F thermostats in it over the years, and the temps ALWAYS read as above. Accurate? I think NOT.

Dr. Lee