Thread: Exhaust manifolds

I found GM turbo exhaust manifolds at a scrap yard with the following numbers on it: 10149624RH1 (the H could be a M) and 23580365. (the 8 could be a 6)

Are these from the 6.5 and if so could I put them on a 1982 6.2?

Will a waste gate turbo fit on this manifold and if so what series?

Will one be able to take the injectors and glow plugs out with this manifolds installed?

Danie
    Danie

1982 Blazer ("Ratau" ROAR OFF THE BIG LION in African Tswana language.) 6.2L N/A, 700R4, 3.08 gears, 33" BF's. DSG timing gears, 12" Donaldson air filter, J intake and dual 2.5" exhaust. The rest stock.

catmandoo Guest

they do fit on the 6.2 but they won't give you very much room if any by the evaporator,i suppose if you have a non a/c truck they might fit.also they came with a wastegate ,the main problem you will have is the downpipe as the crossover runs from left to right and into the bottom of the right manifold then the main expipe out of turbo goes thru basically the same place so you need a hole big enough for 2 pipes one of which should be 3 inch diameter.

Between the GM 6.5 and Banks turbo manifolds which one is recommended to fit on my 82 Blazer with air con if one conceder space and difficulty.

Do one keep the stock left manifold with the Banks setup?

So what I understand is the mounting for the turbo onto the manifold is the same for GM and Banks.

Danie
    Danie

1982 Blazer ("Ratau" ROAR OFF THE BIG LION in African Tswana language.) 6.2L N/A, 700R4, 3.08 gears, 33" BF's. DSG timing gears, 12" Donaldson air filter, J intake and dual 2.5" exhaust. The rest stock.

Craig M Guest

Ratau

You got it wrong. The GM 6.5 GM turbo and the Banks turbo system use different exhaust manifolds. The Banks is designed to work with the old 6.2 vehicles. Banks has their own manufactured manifold to receive the crossover pipe and mount the turbo. Air conditioning can stay. The 6.5/GM turbo has its own manifold and the airconditioning will not fit. Exhaust down pipe from the turbo is a tough fit but can be done. In summary the Banks kit is the way to go if airconditioning is to be easily retained.

catmandoo Guest

the banks turbo will bolt up to either manifold,and yes you keep the original left side manifold,where the difference is is the banks takes the crossover pipe and routes it between the oilpan and motor mount on the drivers side and then under the harm balancer and up into the bottom of the right side manifold right under where the turbo sets.on the 6.5 the crossover runs under the bell housing and up into the bottom of the right manifold in the back. i know there was somebody on here that used a 6.5 manifold on an older 87 down truck but don't remember who it was but he had a hard time with the exhaust,banks still has some right side manifolds and they run about 400.00 plus shipping,i haven't really checked into the 6.5 intakes,but i would think you could use one and route right to the turbo on the banks.then just set up an aircleaner on the intake side of the turbo,it would be a lot cheaper then the whole banks set-up.i took the banks off my 84 c-10 and put on my 92 c1500 and i used the gm manifold,as it was only 168.00 compared to the banks 400.00 plus,and the only thing other than the turbo that i used was the air chamber.got 2 mandrel bent 90 degree elbows and welded them together and set up a k&n airfilter on top of the pass fenderwell.

Catmandoo

What you said is how I thought it will be.

My big question: can you get the injectors and glow plugs out if you mount the GM 6.5 turbo manifold on the 1982 6.2 head, is that what you got?

Thanks for your help

Danie

[ 04-21-2004, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Ratau ]
    Danie

catmandoo Guest

my 92 has a 6.5 so i can't tell ya but as far as inj and glow plugs the back 2 of each on the right side are a pain and i mean a pain.

I have the Banks kit for the 88-93 C/K trucks that is set-up a lot more like the GM system than the older Banks kit. (cross-over goes in the same place as the GM 6.5 systems and turbo near center of manifold)
    It is impossible to remove any of the glow plugs without first removing the exhaust manifold. (I can unscrew them but they won't fit out)
    The injectors are fairly easy once the turbo heat shield is removed. (much easier than on my 95 with the factory GM system)
    I don't know about the old style manifold but I think they are less than $200. (the new style was $397 a few years ago)
    1995 Chevy K2500 Ext. cab 6.5L.<br />1993 GMC K1500 Ext. cab 6.5L with Banks Turbo