Thread: More A/C options for 6.5 TD

This may be of special interest for Jeep SJ... I just replaced the heater core in my '93 Pontiac Bonneville, and think that the HVAC set up from it could be put to use under the dash of my truck. It all goes inside the passenger compartment with a drain out for A/C condensate. The blower motor does protrude through the firewall, but that is all that is outside. It is in a basically rectangular box that looks to be relatively easy to mount and attatch ducts to. I will get some dimensions here in the next couple days.

Gregg
    Did they make a lot of these in '84??

'84 K30 CC DRW 6.2 4911 pump,6.5 injectors, SM 465, NP205, 4.10's. seats from a Y2K CC. ongoing removal of ugly parts. '93 6.5TD turbo system.

'84 K2500 6.2 to 454 back to 6.2, np a 833 O/D, 3.73 255/85R16
    As of 5-31-06 the 454 left my posession in exchange for a 6.2!! Install complete. 7/18/07 motor blown...where's that BB??

'84 c10 Sub

Great info, Gregg! Thanks! I have been looking at a unit from Vintage Air, but I'm always up to making a trip to the junk (treasure) yard to save some bucks. Are the vents vaccuum controlled or electrical? If vaccuum, then I could probably use my stock switch (since it is a GM part). Dimensions would be great.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

gmctd Guest

'88-up trucks use self-contained (heater, evap, blower) behind-dash units.
    Early systems were vacuum controls, late are electric.

Dodge used similar - Chrysler-Jeep

The dimensions for the box that contains the heater core and A/C evaporator are ~9.5"H X9.5"W X10.5"D with leg coming off on the back side that brings width to 14" total seems to be of equal height and depth of about4.5-5". This is where the squirrel cage is located. The vent controls are vaccuum and the heater door is electric. I was personally thinking of finding a way to use the stock ducts because there is a nice flat interface between the box and the duct system where an adapter could be easily made.

I'll have to see what the later trucks have to offer. thanks for the tip JD. By the way is there a reason (possibly much more work) you did not use the later system?

I may not have to do this type of thing since the 6.5 deal fell through. I may have to go Peter B's way and build a TT system. Though that may be easier w/o the A/C in the way.

Gregg

'84 K30 CC DRW 6.2 4911 pump,6.5 injectors, SM 465, NP205, 4.10's. seats from a Y2K CC. ongoing removal of ugly parts. '93 6.5TD turbo system.

As of 5-31-06 the 454 left my posession in exchange for a 6.2!! Install complete. 7/18/07 motor blown...where's that BB??

'84 c10 Sub

gmctd Guest

Funds required vs funds in hand, mainly, Greg.

In short and to wit - "I will gladly pay you tomorrow for the hamburger I will eat today"* don't work at the boneyards.

*Wimpy, late of POPEYE fame, and the eternal optimist

I did it all the way around, first build the TTD engine, put it in and afterwards put together an A/C system from half pontiac half Volvo (again) parts.
    Had to build an evaporater box myself and had the hoses custom made.
    ( Can do that myself now too since I am now a licenced A/C mechanic )
    Putting the righthand turbo as far to the front as possible left just enough space to accomodate the A/C.
    The compressor took some fidling but I am used to that

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

Yeah, I totally understand the "funds in hand" problem!

It seems I missed the exterior part of the box. I just pulled the heads off that car Sunday, and noticed that there is a fair sized box on the outside of the firewall. It might be possible to rework it to make it work, but this might all prove to be time and cost prohibitive. Just depends on how much you are capable of in the fabrication department. I will probably have to (choose to) go that route when the CC gets A/C.

Good luck to everyone and may you enjoy your respective projects.

Gregg

'84 c10 Sub