Thread: Block casting #'s

smcghan Guest

I picked up a complete 6.2. I believe its a 82 but it came out of a 83 k20. The block # is 1402266 (date) 3-2-81. Intake # 14033951. It has no egr so I would say its a J motor. Would this have better heads then my origanal 82 k10 c motor.

john8662 Guest

I don't know if this is complete fact or not, but a local mechanic with a few blown up 6.5's and worn out 6.2's laying around in his shop told me there are some differences. Just the 82 model heads had different valve sizes for the C and J engines. So, they used smaller valves for the C engine. From my understanding the 82 model heads had bigger valves in them in general as compared to other 6.2's 83 and up. But the bigger valve engines were more likely to crack (supposedly), I think they all crack. In 83 they went to the smaller valves in both C and J engines, with the difference being fuel calibration and intake. I like you have an 82 model C engine and an 82 J engine in parts. I have the C code engine in parts, have the heads off of it. I have another 82 engine that I know was a J series, but I don't have the heads off that one yet, its a junk block (cracked main webs) Both blocks have the cast date similar to yours, in that it was made in 81. I am curious if there are differences too, because thats what I have been told, just haven't verified it yet.

smcghan Guest

John862, Please let me know what you find out. At least I have a better J intake, a 2 month use on rebuilt ip pump @ new starter came with. supposed to be a blown head gasket? I'll tear into it when time allows