Thread: Sticking Wastegate Actuator

DA BIG ONE Guest

I need someone to explain how to determine if the wastegate actuator (vacuum type)is sticking?

I apply vacuum to it and it responds (pulls thus closing the gate) right away, but when I release the vacuum it stays in this position, but can be pulled back out by hand with very little effort.

Is it the exhaust pressure that actually pulls it back open, or?

The turbo is the GM8.

markrinker Guest

Call Bill Heath at Heath Diesel. He doesn't monitor these threads, but can explain the workings of the GM-8.

autocrosser Guest

Just get one of Bill Heath's turbo master waste gate actuators and be done with it. You could then remove the vacuum pump also. I believe it would then use a 100" belt.

rjschoolcraft Guest

Exhaust back pressure blows it open. There is no spring or any other mechanism. The vacuum actuator works against back pressure.

I don't agree with the thinking mentioned in the previous thread for the electronic trucks.

The mechanical wastegate controller works great on my truck, and others as well.
    \'98 Chevy Suburban 2500 4X4, 6.5TD, 94K, 4.10 gears<br />K&N air filter, 4\" Magnaflow Performance Exhaust (cat modified), Isspro gauges (boost, pyro and tranny), Bilsteins, remote FSD, Turbo-Master, Max-E-Tork ECM, HO injectors, Jordan controller, Keystone Cougar 304 BHS<br />GCW 17,800# (all 7 of us, but without the bikes).<br />tstadulis@aol.com