Thread: bad glow plugs

Has anyone purchased any glow plugs off line and gotten bad ones? I purchased a set of 11gs from an outfit out of NY and they were marked 11g but were loose not packaged and they failed in a week and every one of them swelled and were a pain to get out. Has anyone else had this experience? These glow plugs are advertised all the time for 44.95. Nape

john8662 Guest

11g glow plugs aren't supposed to swell. If they are truely 11G they will be stamped on the base "11G". I have run 11G's in my truck for 3 years now, all still working. All I know now, is that I will only run the Quick Heat plugs that Kennedy sells. The AC 60G plugs (replacement part for the 11G) work great, just don't get as hot as quick, but they don't swell if and when they burn out. Maybe you got some mixed 9G plugs? Also is your glow controller sticking on too long or are you using a manual system thats burning the plugs up?

Even with manual glow system 11g's should not swell when burning out.
    They are not supposed to burn out at all, at least not so fast.

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

john8662 Guest

Peter,

From what I've read, it looks like the 11G's were short lived, didn't swell, had good heat, but didn't live very long. I don't know for sure, but I have not had one fail yet. One of my relatives has a 6.2 van and its got the 11G's in it too (I put em in) and it's still starting good. I just know the 11G's were not made long, because they were replaced with the 60's really quick.

I am wondering if the glow plugs are sub standard and this is why they are not packaged. I have 11gs in three other vehicles and no problem. Nape

I have 60's in my engine.
    were in there when I bought it, took 4 years to have 4 off them burn out.
    I put 8 new ones in and no problems so far.
    Have them for a year now and its a real fast starter, even with lowered compression.

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)