Thread: 86 6.2 liter starter problem

We have a 86 suburban that broke the starter bolts. We replaced the starter with one from another vehicle. It turns over but it twists and goes out of alignment. threads in the block were worn so we put in some helicoils. Still way too much movement of the starter. Any other suggestions of what the problem may be?

john8662 Guest

There is supposed to be an additional support bracket to hold the starter on the backside of the starter, or towards the front of the engine. If you are missing this bracket or if its not secure you WILL break bolts and have problems. I had a bold break off in the hole on my 6.5 because the bracket bolt was missing where it mounts to the block. Easy-out, drill and some time and a new support bracket bolt and I was back in business. Check there first!

If you're missing the bracket (looks like an bent piece of angle iron) then its available at the Dealer for less than 10 bucks.

I had a similar problem on my 85 burb with 6.2. The problem turned out to be the wrong bolts were used. They were the correct length but straight (no threads) section must go between the starter and the first part of the hole in the block--it acts like and alignment pin. The first bolts I had had too much tread and allowed the starter to wobble, which resulted in broken bolts.