Thread: fuel treatment

doncannon Guest

Angry

hello all,

I am having trouble with the diesel running when it gets cold in the mornings. I think it is because of the diesel here and here is why. I plug it in 1hr before leaving and it will run fine for about 3-4 miles until i come to a hill where full throttle is required. it then takes a fit and i pull off rev her up and off i go again. on the next full throttle it dies a little (wont take full but 3/4 ok). I think maybe it is the fuel conditioner (antigell) anyone have any suggestions?
    thanks in advance,
    Don

catmandoo Guest

well i personnally don't think it's got low enough ,temp wise to gel think you have other problems

NH2112 Guest

Diesel can start gelling around 26 degrees, so it very well could be the cause of your problem. You might want to test your fuel heater to make sure it's working, and check around to see which fuel stops have blended fuel.

Question

Hi Phil, how do you test the fuel heater? My understanding is that it won't come on until a certain low temp, which is something we don't usually reach in So. Cal. It would be nice to check it out before I head up to the mountains and any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Jon
    85' Sub K-20 4x4 6.5 w/ cooling mods
    Phazer and Banks Turbo
    33" BFG's w/ Bilsteins Rebuilt 700R4 w/ all the upgrades

seems like maybe your fuel filter is clogging, which makes the fuel pressure drop on full throttle, and needs to be replaced, or you have some other restriction in the fuel system. if your 'water in fuel' light does not come on when it happens, the restriction is probably elsewhere than the filter.
    88 Subn 6.2 NA \'J\' 4X4 3/4 ton 155KMi <BR>Obnoxious pre-occupied tailgating commuting drivers holding cellphones seem to understand swirling black smoke signals without difficulty.

doncannon Guest

Wink

Thanks to all for the reply,

Where is the fuel heater and how do I check it? I just replaced the fuel filter. Hope it is not that (just hate to do things twice).

Thanks again,
    Don

PS It has been getting down into the 20's at nite and diesel stays outside.