Thread: web cracking

Just reading up on some of the articles on the web page.

Am surprised to read about the inherant probs with web cracking. I'm not familiar with the 6.2 as I have only had it a few months, but this is really worrying to me.

How can I check for this??? Is it possible to drop the pan off and check it from there???

Any info on this would be great. I know if I go to the place in Sydney that sells all the Imported Chev stuff, they'll just tell me it's not really a problem with them.

Cheers,
    Brighty.

[ 04-01-2005, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: brighty ]
    Sydney - Australia

Zip ties and speed tape..... the quick fix to any 4wd!!!

arveetek Guest

I wouldn't be worried about it. I've got three 6.2L's tore apart right now, an 82, an 83, and an 86. None of them have cracked main webs. You have to remember that a lot of the people who have reported cracked webs searched for a site like this because they were having problems. It's not necessarily indicative of all 6.2L engines.

Yes, you can check for cracked webs by dropping the pan. If you don't have any, then you keep on trucking. You might want to install a stud girdle kit for extra insurance. If you do see cracks, then you can start planning on a replacement engine. There's no telling how long a cracked engine can last. Probably a long time in light duty use.

Casey

Thanks for that Casey,

A stud girdle kit??? Sorry for being so nieve (??) But what does this do?? strengthen the webs around the bearings where they 'would' crack.

What is entailed in fitting these kits??? Where would I look to find one online??? I think you guys over there have more of an idea about this stuff than us.

I've rebuilt a landcruiser engine last year, so I'm no dummy around tools... just don't want to strip the whole engine if possible, thats all.

Sorry about all the questions, but need all the advice I can get on this engine. You can never have too much information huh!!!
    Sydney - Australia

Zip ties and speed tape..... the quick fix to any 4wd!!!

Here's a link to the Diesel Service Group. http://www.dieselservices.com/websto...TOKEN=11125505

The stud girdle ties the bottom of the bearing webs together thereby making them stronger.

TimK
    85\' GMC Sub, 4x4, 3/4Ton, 6.2L Diesel<br />67\' Land Rover Series 2A, 2.5L Diesel<br />00\' VW Beetle, 1.9L Diesel TDI <br />90\' Range Rover - soon to be Diesel<p>So what do you do with gelled Diesel fuel? Smear it on toast and have another cup of coffee until it gets warmer outside.

arveetek Guest

The stud girdle kit is a very simple kit consisting of six main bearing studs, nuts, and two L-shaped bars that ties the three center main bearing caps together. It's supposed to strengthen the bottom end some. There's not much too it, so I'm not convinced of it's worth, but, then again, it's better than nothing. I forked out the $150 for one of these kits, because I wanted to do all I can to make one of these engines last as long as possible.

You can read about installing one of these kits in article written by one of our members:

Stud girdle installation.

You can purchase the kit here:

Stud girdle kit.

Casey