Thread: NV4500 MECHANICAL OR HYDRAULIC LINKAGE

Hi all,

I'm going to be putting a NV4500 manual into my fleetside 84 CUCV. I just needed an opinon on clutch linkage pros and cons of going hydraulic or staying with the mechanical version.

Jerry
    84 CUCV(Converted to Silverado Package), 6.2L Banks Turbo, NV4500, NP208, Bilsteins, 2400* Jet Hot Coatings, Dual Idler Gear Drive, 97 Cooling Mods, A/C, 3.73 ratio, ARB Locker in Dana 60, Racor 45, Electric lift pump, Sirius Sat radio, Refurbished drive shafts - 20.5 MPG<br />Mods awaiting funds - Electric Brake Controller, Paint job/body work,

britannic Guest

The NV4500 bellhousing was designed to work with a hydraulic clutch linkage. IMHO, it's a lot smoother, lighter (because the hydraulics multiply foot force) and more flexible.

I`ve only seen GM versions of the NV4500 and they are already hydraulic.From the adaptability standpoint,I think that is the way to go.It`s easiest and works fine.With trying to set-up a linkage,mechanical is difficult to get proper leaverage.I`ve been there on an old PowerWagon I put a 440 in with a NP 4spd.I was having problems,not only having to stand on the clutch(leaverage),but release was less than smooth(like an on-off switch).I tryed different lengths and angles before a guy told my the ol`dirt-track Indian-trick.Hyraulic,I just made a plate(3/8")to mount slave-cyl.to amd mounted plate to bottom of bell-housing,smooth.It should be even easier for you,assuming there`s no problem mounting the master-cyl.Let us know.
    aka:Tim

`91 V2500 Scottsdale Suburban:6.2 4L80E 4"Lift 35s
    `92 K3500 SLE SRW:Peninsular6.5TD Peninsular 5spd
    `72 K20 CustomDeluxe Highlander CustomCamper
    `72 K20 CheyenneSuper CustomCamper
    `72 K2500 SierraGrande
    `71 K10 CustomDeluxe 6' Fleetside

catmandoo Guest

i always hated hydraulic clutchs,but i really like mine.only way to go

a5150nut Guest

If you go the hydralic rout and use stock Chevy parts, be carefull with the master and slave cylinders. They are plastic on my 94 and very little pressure sideways on them will crack the cylinders. Learned this changing a starter. Thought I could just ease the line over...... Well that was saturday and monday at work it gave out. Had to drive across San Jose in rush hour traffic witout a clutch.

Jerry, I just finished doing the same swap on my 80 model dually. The NV4500 uses a hydro bellhousing, the older style you can't get the tranny to bolt up. I went with the factory hydro setup from a 85 model chevy truck. I swapped in the pedal setup and clutch m/c, I used the slave that fit a 92 model ton chevy with the NV4500 and the factory hose setup that matched the same truck. It all works like it was factory. I went on to swap to a electronic style speedometer out of a 90-91 model to make my speedometer work.