As many of you know, I've been assembling a turbo system for my '81 for quite a while now.

It all began in the fall of 2001, when I aquired a used Garret turbocharger from an individual. This turbo had been used on a 6.9L/7.3L Ford, probably from an ATS kit.

Since then, I have been slowly getting all the rest of the bits and pieces I've needed. I bought a new Banks turbo exhaust manifold, machined an adapter to bolt the turbo to the manifold, bought a new round air filter assy. off ebay, a new Banks crossover pipe, fabbed up an oil return system, purchased a new steel-braided oil feed line and Autometer boost guage from Summit racing, machined a 3" exhaust outlet for the turbo, bought 3" pipe to make a downpipe, purchased a like new Kennedy 4" muffler from another DP member, and bought a new 4" chrome tip off ebay.

Last night I brought home one of the last big purchases: all the rest of the 4" exhaust system. I got a 3" to 4" adapter, a section of 4" pipe, and enough mandrel-bent elbows to go over the axle. I was giddy! I found a local supply store that handles exhaust systems for big trucks, and they have all kinds of exhaust system components in 3" and up. I was able to walk the aisles and just pick out all the pieces I needed!

The cost for the entire 4" exhaust system, including muffler and downpipe, comes in around $200. Not too bad, considering a new system for a Duramax or other new truck costs around $400 to $600!

I also bought a new harmonic balancer from the dealer last night. Mine's starting to show squished-out rubber. Now's the time to replace it.

The very last piece I'm working on is the pressure chamber, the part that replaces the air cleaner and fits over the top of the intake manifold. I was going to have one made out of some aluminum tread plate I have, but it was going to cost too much. I now have the machine shop working on making me one out of some aluminum pipe. Haven't got the price on that one yet.

I plan to start assembly next Saturday. It's taken me 3 years to get this all together, but I've definitely saved a lot of money. Instead of $2000 for a Banks Sidewinder and $400 for an exhaust system, I estimate I'll have around $500 to $600 invested in the whole setup.

I can't wait to get started!

Casey