Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 6.2L turbo project update

arveetek Guest

Arrow

As many of you know, I've been assembling a turbo system for my '81 for quite a while now.

It all began in the fall of 2001, when I aquired a used Garret turbocharger from an individual. This turbo had been used on a 6.9L/7.3L Ford, probably from an ATS kit.

Since then, I have been slowly getting all the rest of the bits and pieces I've needed. I bought a new Banks turbo exhaust manifold, machined an adapter to bolt the turbo to the manifold, bought a new round air filter assy. off ebay, a new Banks crossover pipe, fabbed up an oil return system, purchased a new steel-braided oil feed line and Autometer boost guage from Summit racing, machined a 3" exhaust outlet for the turbo, bought 3" pipe to make a downpipe, purchased a like new Kennedy 4" muffler from another DP member, and bought a new 4" chrome tip off ebay.

Last night I brought home one of the last big purchases: all the rest of the 4" exhaust system. I got a 3" to 4" adapter, a section of 4" pipe, and enough mandrel-bent elbows to go over the axle. I was giddy! I found a local supply store that handles exhaust systems for big trucks, and they have all kinds of exhaust system components in 3" and up. I was able to walk the aisles and just pick out all the pieces I needed!

The cost for the entire 4" exhaust system, including muffler and downpipe, comes in around $200. Not too bad, considering a new system for a Duramax or other new truck costs around $400 to $600!

I also bought a new harmonic balancer from the dealer last night. Mine's starting to show squished-out rubber. Now's the time to replace it.

The very last piece I'm working on is the pressure chamber, the part that replaces the air cleaner and fits over the top of the intake manifold. I was going to have one made out of some aluminum tread plate I have, but it was going to cost too much. I now have the machine shop working on making me one out of some aluminum pipe. Haven't got the price on that one yet.

I plan to start assembly next Saturday. It's taken me 3 years to get this all together, but I've definitely saved a lot of money. Instead of $2000 for a Banks Sidewinder and $400 for an exhaust system, I estimate I'll have around $500 to $600 invested in the whole setup.

I can't wait to get started!

Casey

And that, lady's and gentlemen, is how it's done!

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

Dieselboy Guest

Good work Casey. What are the exact specs on your turbo?

arveetek Guest

Originally posted by Dieselboy:
    What are the exact specs on your turbo?
    It's a Garrett turbocharger model # 408316-9008.

Exhaust a/r is .96

Compressor a/r is .60

3" inlet

From what little I understand about turbos, it oughta spool up pretty fast!

Casey

arveetek Guest

6-15-04 update:

On Saturday I got started with the install. As of last night, I now have the turbo mounted in the truck!

I started by removing my current exhaust system, removing the right hand side exhaust manifold, removing the mechanical fuel pump, removing the lower radiator hose, and installing the new Banks manifold.

The first problem I ran into was that the new Banks radiator hose wouldn't fit. I ordered the hose from Banks because their instructions say that I needed it to clear the crossover pipe. Well, since my truck is a converted from-gas-to-diesel truck, the radiator doesn't sit in exactly the same place....it's about 3 inches closer to the passenger side where it normally would be due to the a/c condenser lines coming in on the other side. The factory style hose has enough give to it to line up and work just fine. The Banks hose wouldn't even begin to fit. So I just left it off until I got the crossover pipe installed.

Next, I discovered that the turbo wouldn't bolt up to the manifold because it hit the inner wheel well! Looks like the Banks turbo sits up higher on it's mounting than this Garret turbo does. A block of wood and a sledge hammer allowed me to "massage" the inner fender to give me enough clearance. That problem was solved.

After setting the turbo on the manifold, I had to re-work my oil return. No biggie really. I ditched the mechanical fuel pump, got a block-off plate from the dealer, drilled a hole in the plate, and welded a 3/8" pipe fitting to the plate. I made the rest of the return system out of 3/8" steel pipe.

Next, I installed the electric fuel pump. No problem there.

Next, I installed the crossover pipe. Ran into another problem: the pipe Banks sent me was designed to bolt up to the EPR valve on the driver's side manifold. I lost that valve years ago. I thought it would still fit, but I lacked 1" of getting it to line up, due to the pipe hitting the motor mount. I ended up cutting the pipe and welding in a 1.5" section of pipe to make it longer. Got the crossover pipe installed.

Next, I was able to try the radiator hose again. I got a new factory style hose and it fit just fine. The clearance is tight to the crossover pipe, but with some heat-shielding, should be just fine. Anybody need a brand new Banks radiator hose?

Last thing I did last night was install the turbo permanently onto the manifold. Now I can start fabbing up the exhaust down pipe. I'm really surprised how low the turbo sits in the truck.....it rides right above the frame rail. It does sit lower than the Banks turbo would sit.

I've had to move some of my wiring to make room for the turbo, so I'll have to do a little re-wiring.

I'll probably do the wiring next, then fab up the down pipe, then install the oil feed line, and then start working on the pressure system. Still have to work out where to install the air cleaner.

I do have the pressure chamber in my hands now... machine shop made it for me out of 6" pipe and welded a top on it and a 2 3/8" pipe on the side to hook up my pressure pipes to. I could have made it myself, but I just didn't have time to track down all the pieces and weld it up. I also bought a nice looking 6.5L "Turbo Power" engine cover to dress it all up.

I'm making progress! It's a slow process, but it will be worth it! Having a complete kit from Banks would have been nice and much, much simpler, but I am saving so much money this way that it makes it worthwile, plus I'll have a very unique truck when I'm all done.

Casey

mhagie Guest

Casey,My truck started life as a 75 K10 w/a 350 the body was junk so I bought a Texas 84 cab and from Gm new stock built a 80 silverado front clip.
    When I bought my 6.5 I also bought a Banks Turbo kit for a 84 6.2.
    The odd part is that ever thing fit just fine lower hose and all, the air filter box was a bit of a challenge with the batteries at a right angle to the fenders instead of parallel like the 84 but it fit, barely.
    I even used the 75 a/c box and 350 hoses,fit fine.
    The only thing I had to change was the upper rad hose, it was way too long,shortened it a tad and all was well.
    The 81 gasser must be a case all its own as far as radiator and front support.
    The worst expense was puting the 6.2 rad tanks on a 454 core, that hurt.
    anyway good luck on your turbo project, I hope its all you expect it to be.........Merle

arveetek Guest

I'll bet that the 454 core isn't as long as the 6.2L radiator is....it's one long sucker! The condenser lines come in on the driver's side, which prohibit me from sliding the radiator all the way to driver's side like it's supposed to be. That puts the passenger side of the radiator really close to the battery.

I got the wiring all done last night, fuel pump relay installed and pumping, and other misc. wiring I had to move. Started on the downpipe, should have it done today. I have the day off, so I'm spending all day on it!

Casey

arveetek Guest

6-16-04 update:

Okay, I've got the 3" downpipe made! That was actually rather simple. I used a pre-formed 3" mandrel-bent 45 degree elbow to exit down past the engine. I only had to make one cut and weld to hook the elbow to the turbo. Didn't take long at all.

I'm going to use two clamps on the downpipe: one at the top where it joints near the turbo, and one at the bottom where it joins the rest of the exhaust system. This way, I can remove the pipe when needed. If I left it all one piece, I wouldn't be able to remove it without cutting it out!

I now have pics uploaded of my progress. You can see them at:
    http://community.webshots.com/album/153303040IeQyIu

Casey

Dieselboy Guest

Thumbs up

Looking good Casey. I like the 4" exhaust.

arveetek Guest

SHE RUNS!!!

I got the oil feed line installed and bled, and decided to fire it up and see what happened. Everything seems to be A-Okay. The blower definitely works!

Now I can get started on the pressure system and work out the air cleaner and CDR issues.

Casey

congratulations

We all know you can do it!!

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

Casey

It looks good, the picktures tells a lot.

Danie
    Danie

1982 Blazer ("Ratau" ROAR OFF THE BIG LION in African Tswana language.) 6.2L N/A, 700R4, 3.08 gears, 33" BF's. DSG timing gears, 12" Donaldson air filter, J intake and dual 2.5" exhaust. The rest stock.

arveetek Guest

Cool

6-21-04 Update:

PROJECT FINISHED!!

I've been really busy the last several days, so I haven't had time to update ya'll on my progress.

The next step was to make a pressure system from the turbo to the pressure chamber mounted on the intake manifold. I made one from ABS plastic pipe and fittings. I'm not sure how well it will hold up under the heat, but so far it's working good. I will probably end up replacing it with a metal system, but at least now I have a pattern.

I then made the air filter system. The orginal tractor-style cartridge air filter assembly I had purchased was too large to fit anywhere underneath the hood, at least not in a way that pleased me. So, I ditched that and used a universal-style 3" cone-shaped filter, and mounted it underneath the passenger side battery tray. I also cut a hole in the radiator support for a fresh, cold air intake. You can see pics of this in my photo album.

I welded a 1" hose fitting into the air intake pipe, and ran a hose from there up to the CDR valve.

I installed an Auto-meter Sport comp boost guage.

After that, I was pretty much finished with the turbo installation. I then went on to building the 4" exhaust system, which was really much easier than I anticipated.

So, now the moment you've all been waiting for: the results!

Well, at full throttle acceleration, I've seen a max. so far of 11 lbs of boost at 1000 degrees EGT. Yippee! That's what I was hoping for! I didn't want too much boost, 'cause I wanted reliablility more than anything, but I also wanted more than the typical 7 psi boost that Banks owners usually get. I've noticed the EGT's run around 200 degrees cooler than before at cruising speeds. I can mash on the throttle and get an almost instant 5 lbs of boost before she starts building with the rpms.

I used to have EGT's in excess of 1300 degrees. I can't wait to hook up a trailer and see what happens now!

And the sound! Oh my, the sound of the engine/turbo/exhaust is absolutely brilliant! I can hear the turbo sing to me even at idle and just cruising around, but then she really begins to whislte and whine when under power. And the Kennedy muffler lets just enough sound through to deliver this deep rumble that lets you know you've got something underneath the hood.

I'm so giddy! I can't believe I've actually pulled this off after all this time.

I'll continue to update you on performance issues as time goes on.

Thank you to everyone on this page who has contributed all your wonderful information. I never would have been able to do this without The Diesel Page and all you members.

I have updated pics showing the turbo and exhaust system at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/153303040IeQyIu

Casey

Dieselboy Guest

Thumbs up

Congratulations Casey!

Casey, VERY NICE!! Great job. I've been toying with the idea of doing a 4" exhaust but you've given me the incentive! Thanks!
    Bill Efland
    83 C10 6.2TD Short Bed
    befland@yahoo.com

Sweet. I just hope mine turns out as nice. If everything goes on schedule, I should be dropping the engine in on Thurs.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...

Now that my Banks kit is sold, I need somebody to host pics for my creation.

Dieselboy Guest

Talking

I've got a fair bit of webspace, and I can set you up an ftp account for pics.

Let me know: david@oliverdiesel.com

arveetek Guest

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

This truck is just so much more of a pleasure to drive now. I always thought my 6.2L ran pretty good in n/a form, but I never knew what I was missing. My wife and I are planning to go to Colorado in a couple of weeks with the RV, I can't wait to see how much better she performs (the truck that is ) with a load.

Casey

CleviteKid Guest

Cool

Hi Casey,

Are you trying to convert me, too? Why not drive your truck and RV down to Florida about next January, and we can put a turbo on MY truck .

( Is he kidding or what )

Dr. Lee