Thread: 6.2 Head advice

Wink

I am in the process of replacing the passenger side head on my 93 Chevy P30 step van. It is the 6.2 engine. Removed head and rocker arm assembly.
    Manual mentioned removing the plastic plugs and replacing with new ones. These plugs go in the rocker arm (4). My question is: Do I have to replace these? Just removed head to have broken glow plug extracted and now ready to reassemble.
    The plugs were not touched. And what do they do?
    Experience! Lets hear it, Thanks.
    denneyjo@yahoo.com Please post here or respond to my email. Will check both.

john8662 Guest

Those plugs are retainer clips and they hold the rocker onto the shaft. They are really just a guide to keep the rocker from turning sideways on the shaft.

You don't have to replace them, just inspect them before you install the rocker arm assemblies. You will be looking for any that are really loose (looser than the rest).

It's really not a bad idea to change them, but not necessary, especially since you removed the head for a glow plug tip.

Just out of curiousity, but, could you have gotten the broken glow plug out with the injector removed, or did the broken tip fall down into the clyinder? Either way, what you did is way better than risking damage to the engine.

Thumbs up

Actually this job should have been a piece of cake. But it was a nightmare. Two glow plugs broke off, 2 came right out. The injectors were easy to remove. Tried everything possible to get them out with no luck (broken glow plugs). Advised to remove head. Had to cut 6 manifold bolts because heads were already rounded off.
    Machine shop removed bolts and glow plugs and now ready to put together. After reading more I figured the plastic plugs did not need to be removed or replaced.
    Thanks.