Thread: Compressor on 6.2L?

Got an compressor from an Detroit Diesel two stroke engine. Are there any reasons why I should NOT mount it on top of the NA 6.2L diesel?

And if I can use it on the 6.2L, are there any suggestions or guidelines on how to make this work without blowing up the engine... (blowing like in destroying, that is. )
    1983 GMC Jimmy - 6.2L
    1975 Scania L80 - DS8
    Massey Ferguson 35

If you're gonna do somthin' - do it right the first time. Less fuzz ;-)

arveetek Guest

I'm assuming you're talking about the blower that mounts on the side of the 6-71 or on top of the 8-71 Detroits. If so, these are commonly used in supercharger kits for gassers.

You're biggest obstacle will be in mating it to the intake manifold, you'll basically have to build it from scratch. The second obstacle will be making a drive system for it to run off the crankshaft. There are no known kits for mounting such a supercharger on a 6.2L that I know of. I know people have talked about using such a supercharger, but I don't know of anyone who has successfully completed such a project.

As long as you limit the boost to 15 psi or less, I think you'll be fine.

Do a search on 'supercharger' and see what you can come up with. It's been discussed here, but most folks end up using a turbocharger as it's far easier to install and works great with a diesel engine. However, a 6-71 or 8-71 blower sitting on top of a 6.2L would be mighty cool!

Casey

poolmike Guest

My memory is a little foggy here, but I believe Whipple makes a supercharger for 6.2/6.5 engines.

NH2112 Guest

The biggest drawback to superchargers is they require a lot of the power they make just to run them. The bigger ones, say in the 4-500hp range, can take as many as 200hp. Turbochargers are driven by what for all intents and purposes is free energy.

arveetek Guest

Originally posted by poolmike:
    My memory is a little foggy here, but I believe Whipple makes a supercharger for 6.2/6.5 engines.
    I've heard that too, but I've never actually seen one. Whipple's website doesn't list any diesel superchargers at all, either in the automotive or marine listings. That doesn't mean they didn't make one, though. Seems like I've heard of some Humvee owners with a whipple supercharger.

Casey

Smile

not sure what engine it is. It's standing on an terex wheel loader... But its on the side of the engine.

I guess I can make a custom intake. Got a spare 6.2 to try it on...

Having an '83 GMC jimmy with V-belts. Can I use this setup, just add more pulleys in front of engine?
    Or do I have to modify the whole setup?

Thanx
    OBi
    1983 GMC Jimmy - 6.2L
    1975 Scania L80 - DS8
    Massey Ferguson 35

If you're gonna do somthin' - do it right the first time. Less fuzz ;-)

NH2112 Guest

The nice thing about the 6.2l/6.5l is that the intakes don't seal to the valley. All you need to do is cut flanges out of 3/8" stock, make an airbox for the bottom of the blower and TIG some tubing between the flanges and airbox. Either aluminum or steel will work just fine.

Arrow

The 6.2L Mercruiser is a gasser.

I've also heard of folks doing it, but with gasser SC's.

A turbo is a far better choice. The 6.2/6.5 bottom end has issues with high power levels as it is, let alone high power, and the parasitic requirement of a blower. I'd be very surprised if someone could actually get any appreciable output for a full power dyno run, before something lets go.

It would be cool, though.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Look for marine diesel in Sweden, they make the hammerhead 6.5 marine engine.
    http://www.perfprotech.com/1/marine-...-for-sale.html

the link is a place to start

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)