Thread: Injector/Fuel Flow Theory?

Question

I've got and 84 Subdivision that I'm putting a rebuilt 6.2 long block into. I'll be swapping over my ATS turbo. I've got some options on the injectors but don't know which way to go.
    Obviously I can put 6.2 injectors back in.
    People have suggested 6.5 injectors would give me a bit better performance especially since I have the turbo - anybody know if I have to modify anything or are they a direct replacement.
    ALSO
    One shop I talked with says he can get me 6.2 injectors with Marine Nozzels? anybody know about these??? Are they only for the low compression high performance motors?
    I know you can turn up the Injector Pump for more fuel flow - what effect do the injectors have on the fuel flow?
    Thanks!!!
    '84 3/4 Ton 4X4 Cheby Subdivision 6.2L ATS Turbo w/ 3" exhaust - NO STINKIN MUFFLER!Dr. Lee\'s battery connector Modifications, Auxillary Electric Fuel Pump,Auxillary Glow Plug overide switch

6.5 injectors are a bit shorter then the 6.2's but will fit if you bent the line a bit.

Marine injectors generaly have a higher pop pressure and a bit more flow, like the 6.5's do compared to the 6.2.s.

The marine injectors match the marine pump witch has a different pressure/ injection curve.

for as long as the injectorpump is in good condition 6.5 or marine injectors are a good choice.
    6.2 injectors leave not much room for inprovement if you turn up the pump.

The effect off injectors on flow is that bigger injectors allow more flow and so shorter injection time and more acurate timing.

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

smcghan Guest

Peter

So the marine 6.2 injectors are higher perf. then reg. 6.2. I ask cause I have an 82 which is the course thread . With these I could turn up the i/p and get more then smike? Are these accesable and close to the same cost as replacing the stock inj. Thanks Steven

With regular injectors you can turn up the pump and boost performance a bit.
    The secret to all injectors are the nozzles and the pop pressure.
    I am not sure the marine nozzles wil fit the coarse style injector bodies, but they need to be set at a higher pressure then regular and atomize the fuel better for a quicker and cleaner burn and so alowing more fuel to be burned.
    If your pump is in good condition it's no problem but a tired pump will not perform well with those high pressures.

If looking for perfomance, get a turbo, a 4911 pump and marine injectors

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)