Thread: piston to deck clearance

Hi all,

I've got a question about piston height. Standard piston for a 6.2 and a deck that has had no machining. Where does the piston top come out - below, at, or above the deck? I ask because I've just had my 6.2 block machined(0.008" removed) and the Mahle 6.2L 0.030 (19:1) pistons lie just 0.003 below the deck. I don't know if the block was machined before my latest cut. I'm going to run the + 0.010" FelPro gaskets because head machining also took another 0.005".

Jerry
    84 CUCV(Converted to Silverado Package), 6.2L Banks Turbo, NV4500, NP208, Bilsteins, 2400* Jet Hot Coatings, Dual Idler Gear Drive, 97 Cooling Mods, A/C, 3.73 ratio, ARB Locker in Dana 60, Racor 45, Electric lift pump, Sirius Sat radio, Refurbished drive shafts - 20.5 MPG<br />Mods awaiting funds - Electric Brake Controller, Paint job/body work,

I thought the lower compression pistons would be much lower in the bore than that . Any chance you could measure the difference in the pin heights ? The thicker head gasket is for what you are doing , machining the block to get it square . That would get you back to the 21:1 compression ratio . With the pistons that you have , you are basically at 21:1 . Where's the reduced compression ?

When lowering compression on the TTD engine, I took off some height off the piston top and got to 0.75 MM below the cylinderblock deck.
    I think that normally the pistons get flush with the deck.
    According to my messurments and caculations you should be +/- 1 MM below for 19:1 compression.

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)