Thread: Shock absorber question

I would like to replace the shock absorbers on my 1985 6.2L Suburban. It originally came from the factory with the quad shock option. If I wish to use only 4 shocks total (2 on the front, 2 on the rear) which shock mounts should be used on the front?? The inner shock (shorter?) or the outer (longer?)

Any suggestions on shock type wouyld also be appreciated. I do some light towing (3000lbs or less)

Mike
    1985 K20 Suburban 4X4 <a href=\"http://www.karensphotos.com/suburban\" target=\"_blank\">www.karensphotos.com/suburban</a><br />6.2L \"J\" code<br />TH400 3-speed Auto<br />3.73 rear

Arrow

Neither.

You won't like the results of running only one of the original quad shocks. If you must convert to a single shock, you will need an aftermarket mount to accept a single HD shock.

Is there a reason for wanting single shocks? The quad shock front ends offer a lot that a single setup can't. The shocks have different dampening rates and are very effective at handling a heavy front end, like your Sub. I wish they still offered that option OEM.

In either case, don't spend money on a single shock. You might as well use none.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com