Thread: Timing chain replacement

Getting ready to replace the timing chain( &water pump, harmonic balancer etc.)Got some questions;

1-Haynes manual call for locating #1TDC(Sec. 2-111).My read is that once this done,and set properly, the engine is rotated 360 degrees to #6TDC, and the gears are ready to be replaced.Correct?

2-They warn not to rotate the engine once this is done. What's the best way to "lock" the engine in place?

3-How do you get the harmonic balancer back on.
    Dealer service guy says "beat it on".(Don't like that).I can rent an install tool fron NAPA, but which one?(350,454,... they claim they don't have one for the 6.2 ?).

4-If that fails, whats the size and pitch of the harmonic balancer bolt(Anyone ever made an install tool?)

Thanks

Tom,

I went through the same thing when I replaced the timing chain on my 6.2L with the gears. The damper pulley bolt is not long enough to pull the damper pulley back onto the crank shaft. I believe the size is a 14mm fine thread. I went down to my local NAPA and they did not have a metric fine thread in their bulk bolt selection. I ended up making my own tool. It turns out NAPA does sell a really short 14mm fine threaded bolt in their selection of oil pan drain plugs. I took this and welded it onto to a 10mm course threaded bolt the was 80mm long. (I could have also used a 1/2" bolt that was 3" long and had the same result.) I placed the heads of the two bolts together and welded them. The 14mm fine threaded end was screwed into the end of the crank. Then goes on the damper and the thick damper pulley washer and then nut that fits the long end of the bolt. (In my case a 14mm course thread.) This allowed me to get the pulley on far enought that I could then use the stock bolt to finish the work.

I definitely would not pound on the end of the damper pulley. A lot of that force would be transmitted directly to the thrust bearing. Even if you didn't hurt the bearing, the center bearing casting is proned to cracks in the webbing and this could put your block in jeopardy.

I am not using the tool I made right now, If you want I can mail it out to you and you could mail it back when your done. I am guessing for about $8.00 I could also make you one (that includes shipping.) Let me know if you are interested. You can send me an email at Kuhlrover@aol.com.

TimK
    85\' GMC Sub, 4x4, 3/4Ton, 6.2L Diesel<br />67\' Land Rover Series 2A, 2.5L Diesel<br />00\' VW Beetle, 1.9L Diesel TDI <br />90\' Range Rover - soon to be Diesel<p>So what do you do with gelled Diesel fuel? Smear it on toast and have another cup of coffee until it gets warmer outside.

Tim

Got your message. I e-mailed you a reply. Who knows, maybe you can start manufacturing them for DP members and suppliers.

Thanks

I have a damper installer for sale in the classifieds. Its designed for a 6.5 and has a 16mm thread. I'm not sure if these fit 6.2s or not. Don't beat the damper on! Your thrust washers don't like that kind of abuse.
    Bobbie Martin
    1995 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 6.5 TD 2WD- DB2 mechanical fuel injection
    GEP Optimizer 6.53 Detroit Diesel Power
    6.53L, GEP Block & Heads, .020 over, ARP studs, DB2 Inj. pump, GM8 Turbo w/TurboMaster
    K47 Airbox with K&N filter, 3" mandrel bent exhaust, 2ΒΌ" Crossover, Mann ProVent
    HO Water Pump, Hayden "Truck Fan" Clutch, 21" 9 blade Duramax Fan

No PMD, APP, CDR, optical sensor or vacuum pump!
    Author of The DB2 Conversion Guide
    Click Here to Email Me

Tom,

I placed the damper pulley tool in the mail on Tuesday. Let me know if it works out.

TimK
    85\' GMC Sub, 4x4, 3/4Ton, 6.2L Diesel<br />67\' Land Rover Series 2A, 2.5L Diesel<br />00\' VW Beetle, 1.9L Diesel TDI <br />90\' Range Rover - soon to be Diesel<p>So what do you do with gelled Diesel fuel? Smear it on toast and have another cup of coffee until it gets warmer outside.