Thread: Just bought a van NEED ADVICE!!

Hello--

I just added another 6.2 to my collection in the form of a 92 G30 one ton utility van. I am excited about getting it home, wherin lies the problem. The previous owner bought the van from a junk yard to use the cargo box, he claims that either it needs a new head or head gaskets. He has been to afraid to drive the van at all and makes his head gasket claim based on the fact that there are bubbles in the radiator as soon as the motor starts running, he calls this "boiling over". However he never runs the motor long enough for the engine temps to come up so we dont know if it overheats or not. There is NO water in the oil and NO oil in the water, just a bubbling radiator.

My Question. The van is in northern Ohio, and i am in Southern Tennessee, about a 500 mile drive. My plan is to take Lothar (83 crew cab 6.2 with 400,000 miles) and pull the van back, however i would rather try to drive it. Is this a bad idea?? He says he has *talked* to mechanics who told him that its most likley a cracked head. Should i take the risk, or play it safe and try to find a trailer large enough for a Dually Van??
    To seek the sacred river Alph<BR>To walk the caves of ice<BR>To break my fast on Honeydew<BR>And drink the milk of Paradise

Lothar,

Gas bubbles in the radiator are definitly not a good sign. Whether it is a cracked head or a bad head gasket is hard to tell. Either way, you don't want to drive this. I would suggest towing it. A cracked head or bad gasket is fixable. If you drive this it could cause a much bigger problem.

TimK
    85\' GMC Sub, 4x4, 3/4Ton, 6.2L Diesel<br />67\' Land Rover Series 2A, 2.5L Diesel<br />00\' VW Beetle, 1.9L Diesel TDI <br />90\' Range Rover - soon to be Diesel<p>So what do you do with gelled Diesel fuel? Smear it on toast and have another cup of coffee until it gets warmer outside.

Remove the drive shaft if you plan on towing it for a long distance.
    You will destroy the transmission if you don't.
    I would prefer the trailer option for a distance like that.

Peter
    '85 CUCV blazer 6.2 twin turbo diesel (300 HP ), 4L80E with PCS trans controller '64 F350 tow truck (restoration project)

Unhappy

oh well...i'll find a trailer of tow bar..thanks for the advice..
    To seek the sacred river Alph<BR>To walk the caves of ice<BR>To break my fast on Honeydew<BR>And drink the milk of Paradise